Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crazy Grounding Question-Try No To Laugh

1. Back To Top    #1
    Massachusetts, USA

Crazy Grounding Question-Try No To Laugh

I have an existing IGP that is fully bonded to code including the ladder.
    I do not however have the handrail to the stairs installed.
    I would have to drill into the concrete to install this but due to the concrete, I would not be able to ground/bond it.
    What would this mean if I installed it anyway?

Dangerous shocks?
    Mild "static" zaps?

I am very frustrated not being to install my handrail without jackhammering up my concrete.

Thanks for your honest answers.
    18' X 36' Inground Pool 26,000 gallons. SuperMax 27mil/27mil Vinyl Liner-Installed Fall 2011
    Pentair Intellipro Programable Pump (Model 011018) // Pentair S8M 500 Cartridge Filter // Circupool RJ45 Salt Chlorinator
    2 Hayward Skimmers // 3 Returns // 2 Savi Melody Pool lights // TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Crazy Grounding Question-Try No To Laugh

You would be creating a potentially hazardous situation. The odds of actually having a problem because of that are very very very low, but if something really does go wrong you die. Most people don't want to take that kind of risk.

The usual solution is to cut a grove in the concrete and run the bonding wire in the grove out to somewhere where it can be properly connected to the bonding grid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Crazy Grounding Question-Try No To Laugh

Are you saying the hand rail and anchors were not installed. Usually the anchors would be placed and bonded prior to any decking, then the hand rail is installed into the bonded anchors.
    20x44 IG vinyl. Intelliflo, Pentair Cartridge Filter (420ft^2), Raypac 336K, Kreepy Krauly