blowing off skimmer lid

Jun 6, 2013
New Paris, OH
When I turn off my pump the skimmer lid blows off with water coming out of it. My water has remained cloudy for three weeks and I cannot get it cleared up. Does the one problem have to do with the other. I have a 24,000 gallon in ground pool with a hayward S244T sand filter with a vinyl liner. I bought the sand filter in 2011 and when they installed it the hooked it up backwards. I had trouble with my water being cloudy all last year and could not get it cleared up. Same problem this year. I replaced the sand and checked the laterals. Everything was fine. I do not have a relief valve. I have put a quart of algaecide and 10 bags of super pool shock with 4 gallons of liquid shock. Also, 1/2 bottle of super fall out and my water is still greenish blue and cloudy. Can you help me with either problem. I have not tried to recirculate to see if the skimmer lid still blows off. Any help would be great!

Welcome to TFP!

Your skimmer lid is coming off because you have an air leak and the filter is getting air in it. As the pump operates it compresses the air in the filter. When you shut the pump off, the air expands and pushes water out through the skimmer. Check your pump basket lid O-ring and the O-ring on the pump basket housing drain for starters, then make sure the water in your skimmer is flowing smoothly with no vortex or burping.

The key to defeating algae is persistence and consistency. It shouldn't take more than a couple of days to get rid of the green. Follow the instructions in Defeating Algae and you should be well on your way to a clear pool by the weekend.

When the pump is on is there water coming out of the return jets to the pool? Sounds like there is a lot of pressure getting built up inside the filter and with nowhere to go comes back up the suction line when the pump is off. Check to make sure there are no closed valves that should be open and that the selector for the filter is in the proper position to allow water to return to the pool. I suspect you will find something along those lines to be your problem. Also are the returns unplugged from the winterization? I will defer to one of the chemists on here to help you with the water clarity problems

60Tigers said:
It is not the skimmer basket on the pump. It is the one by the pool. Also, I have my multi-port valve set on filter. The return jets seem to be working fine and no closed valves.
Yes, that's what we assumed. Open the bleed valve on top of your filter when the pump is running and I bet you'll hear a lot of air hissing out before any water starts spraying.

60Tigers said:
I do not have a bleed valve. Where is the o ring on the pump basket housing drain located.
It would help us tremendously if we knew what type of filter and pool you have. If the pipes come out the top of your filter you won;t have an air bleed. Otherwise, you must. Mine is actually a collar that the pressure gauge is screwed into. Yours may be different. A picture would help..

The pump basket aka strainer basket is the round clear plastic thing with the four ears in this picture:
launboyAGPump.jpg
The drain, if it has one, will be somewhere on that down at the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.