Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ground wire disconnected - re-connect?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ground wire disconnected - re-connect?

I had a pump replaced under a home warranty recently, and I specifically remember what appeared to be a copper ground wire, connected to a ground screw on the motor side of the pump. After the new pump and motor was added, this wire was no longer connected.

Any reason an installer would leave the ground disconnected? Should I just reattach it myself? I don't want to call them for such a simple thing like that if that's the case.

I'm no Bob Vila, but I can use a screwdriver!

Pic attached (after new pump installed, ground not connected) If you click on the pic to see a larger image, and look above and to the right of the "D", you will see what I think is the ground screw that the wire should go through.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15,694 gallons, Sta-Rite DE filter, 3/4 HP Heyward Superpump, Polaris

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ground wire disconnected - re-connect?

Yeah, just terminate it under that bonding lug. The installer of the new pump should have reconnected when they replaced the pump.

If I were an evil person I'd call them up and tell them that I had a person electrocuted and the investigator found the bonding wire left unhooked from the pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

That is not a ground wire, it is a bonding wire and it should be attached.

Chances are, your pool is not up to code anyway, unless it was installed less than 5 years ago or so.

There should be a #8 bonding wire buried around your pool, with a bond to one of the pool legs. The bare bonding wire from the motor should run to this lug as well. In addition, if you have a metal ladder, that should be bonded as well.

Before that code change in 2008, most pools were not bonded like that. Mine has the motor lug bonded to a ground rod. I really should bond a wire from that ground rod to one of my pool legs as well.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, guys! Very much appreciated.
    15,694 gallons, Sta-Rite DE filter, 3/4 HP Heyward Superpump, Polaris