Help Please - 1st Year On My Own

a-cat

Jun 6, 2013
Southern Maryland
So happy to find TFP. Help pls. 1st year on my own (husband passed). 22K gal IG vinyl pool, Hayward sand, no heater, well water. Opened 2-3 weeks ago (mesh cover): removed debris, brushed & shocked. Water cleared overnight though cloudy. I did not stay on top of things so algae making a come back, light greenish color now. Last night: brushed, shocked, used poly algaecide. Test results (pool store) a/o this morning:

FC 8.2
PH 6.5
TA 0
CYA 80
Hardness 130
Copper 1.36

Read Sparkling Oasis etc. and fumbled around w/pool calculator but not confident on what to do. Want to learn BBB method (tired of expensive pool store products).

Welcome! :wave:

If I trusted the pool store test I would be very worried about that low pH and that high CYA.

And if those numbers are correct, you're not even close to shock level.

At this point, I'd just try to tread water and maintain FC where it is until you can get trustworthy test results. After that, it's pretty simple (but not always quick or easy) to fix things up.

While pool store tests are notoriously bad the one thing they get pretty close most of the time is the pH. I'd probably raise it to about 7.5 and wait for the good test kit.

Just for the record. I'm highly suspicious of a TA of zero. We have seen pools with TA of zero but then the pH is 4.5. When you try to raise the pH let us know if it raises like it's supposed to.

:shock: I just noticed the copper number!!! If that's correct you're going to have to maintain a sequestrant level. I'd take a sample to a few more pool stores and see if they can test for metals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.