Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Please - 1st Year On My Own

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Please - 1st Year On My Own

So happy to find TFP. Help pls. 1st year on my own (husband passed). 22K gal IG vinyl pool, Hayward sand, no heater, well water. Opened 2-3 weeks ago (mesh cover): removed debris, brushed & shocked. Water cleared overnight though cloudy. I did not stay on top of things so algae making a come back, light greenish color now. Last night: brushed, shocked, used poly algaecide. Test results (pool store) a/o this morning:

FC 8.2
    PH 6.5
    TA 0
    CYA 80
    Hardness 130
    Copper 1.36

Read Sparkling Oasis etc. and fumbled around w/pool calculator but not confident on what to do. Want to learn BBB method (tired of expensive pool store products).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help Please - 1st Year On My Own

I forgot to mention TF100 test kit on order (until it arrives, posted pool store test results - sorry).

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

If I trusted the pool store test I would be very worried about that low pH and that high CYA.

And if those numbers are correct, you're not even close to shock level.

At this point, I'd just try to tread water and maintain FC where it is until you can get trustworthy test results. After that, it's pretty simple (but not always quick or easy) to fix things up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

While pool store tests are notoriously bad the one thing they get pretty close most of the time is the pH. I'd probably raise it to about 7.5 and wait for the good test kit.

Just for the record. I'm highly suspicious of a TA of zero. We have seen pools with TA of zero but then the pH is 4.5. When you try to raise the pH let us know if it raises like it's supposed to.

I just noticed the copper number!!! If that's correct you're going to have to maintain a sequestrant level. I'd take a sample to a few more pool stores and see if they can test for metals.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit