Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: New pump, now skimmer flap gets sucked down, doesn't float

  1. Back To Top    #1

    New pump, now skimmer flap gets sucked down, doesn't float

    Is this normal? This pump seems to be stronger than our last one. There were no markings on the old pump that indicated HP or anything so i'm not sure exactly how strong that one was. Since the new pump the skimmer flap(not sure if that's the right term?) gets sucked down and doesn't float at all. This seems to affect the ability to pull surface debris down into the basket.

    Is it possible the buoyancy of the flap is just gone? Or is it possible that the pump it just too strong for our setup? The new pump is a Hayward and its 1.0HP 110volts. Just let me know if you need any more info to help.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: New pump, now skimmer flap gets sucked down, doesn't flo

    The first thing to check is the water level. When mine is down too low, I get the same thing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: New pump, now skimmer flap gets sucked down, doesn't flo

    Hey thanks for the response,

    The water level is very high, we just got a bunch of rain so it's almost overflowing the top of the skimmer.

  4. Back To Top    #4
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: New pump, now skimmer flap gets sucked down, doesn't flo

    What model was you old pump and what model is your new pump?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: New pump, now skimmer flap gets sucked down, doesn't flo

    The pump i have now is a Hayward, I cannot for the life of me remember what brand the old one was. We were having an issue with it tripping the breaker and not turning on. My mom(i take care of the pool for her since my dad passed) had called a pool company to come and look at it and they just replaced it and took the old one away. So unfortunately i don't have the information.

    Here's a picture of the specs on the pump: http://i.imgur.com/xRggzUQ.jpg

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: New pump, now skimmer flap gets sucked down, doesn't flo

    Is that your only suction line? Or could you shift more suction to come from the bottom?

    Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  7. Back To Top    #7
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: New pump, now skimmer flap gets sucked down, doesn't flo

    Could you put the pool and equipment specs in your signature...that will help us help you.

    With that said, depending on your plumbing, i.e. if you have a unrestricted short run plumbing or a low loss filter, the flow rate may be very high at the skimmer. If you have a valve somewhere in the system (preferably on the pressure side), you could close it slightly to reduce the flow rate and see if that helps the skimming.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  8. Back To Top    #8
    pwrstrk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Elverson Pa.
    Posts
    4,758

    Re: New pump, now skimmer flap gets sucked down, doesn't flo

    I know on the back of my door there's a little piece of styrofoam to keep it floating.


    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: New pump, now skimmer flap gets sucked down, doesn't flo

    Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk
    I know on the back of my door there's a little piece of styrofoam to keep it floating.
    Yeah my door has that too but apparently the suction is strong enough to hold it down under water.



    Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Could you put the pool and equipment specs in your signature...that will help us help you.

    With that said, depending on your plumbing, i.e. if you have a unrestricted short run plumbing or a low loss filter, the flow rate may be very high at the skimmer. If you have a valve somewhere in the system (preferably on the pressure side), you could close it slightly to reduce the flow rate and see if that helps the skimming.
    Ill get the specs up in my sig when i get a chance. I do not have any valve like that on my system, not that i'm aware of anyway. Its my first year taking care of pool stuff in my life, still learning as i go hah.

  10. Back To Top    #10
    thehowheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120

    Re: New pump, now skimmer flap gets sucked down, doesn't flo

    Quote Originally Posted by cloud32187
    Is this normal? This pump seems to be stronger than our last one. There were no markings on the old pump that indicated HP or anything so i'm not sure exactly how strong that one was. Since the new pump the skimmer flap(not sure if that's the right term?) gets sucked down and doesn't float at all. This seems to affect the ability to pull surface debris down into the basket.

    Is it possible the buoyancy of the flap is just gone? Or is it possible that the pump it just too strong for our setup? The new pump is a Hayward and its 1.0HP 110volts. Just let me know if you need any more info to help.
    First, it's called a weir.

    Second, I think the behavior you are describing is normal. When the pump is off, the weir should float, preventing debris from entering the pool. When the pump is on, the weir shouldn't flap unless the pump is not pulling enough water into it to keep it down. The weir in my skimmer does not flap when the pump is on.
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •