Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

View Poll Results: Which option will add more wow-factor?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrading pool's waterline tile to premium mosaic pattern glass tile

    5 31.25%
  • Upgrading to Wet Edge Prism Matrix (glass bead mix) from Wet Edge Satin Matrix (already an upgrade over Pearl Matrix)

    11 68.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    72

    Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    Hello - This is my first post here on this extremely helpful/informative forum.

    We just signed a contract for our pool and are deciding on a couple of options - so I thought I'd seek thoughts on these options:

    (a) Upgrade pool waterline tile to premium mosaic pattern glass tile OR
    (b) Upgrade to Wet Edge Prism Matrix (glass bead mix) from Wet Edge Satin Matrix

    In your experience/opinion which one of these two options will have more of a visual wow-factor ?

    Please help us decide
    Cheers!

    (I will start a build thread when we have permits etc.)

  2. Back To Top    #2


    TFP Guide

    kcindc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,272

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    IMO, while I am no expert, I think the difference in finishes are more in line with feel preferences vs visual appeal. I picked the tile, because it is more of a visual thing than a feel thing.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    72

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    Quote Originally Posted by kcindc
    IMO, while I am no expert, I think the difference in finishes are more in line with feel preferences vs visual appeal. I picked the tile, because it is more of a visual thing than a feel thing.

    I see your point - at a depth over a 2-3 feet its probably hard to tell a difference between the various finishes. They will actually be different to the touch. So lesser of a wow factor and more of a comfort factor.

    Thanks for sharing your opinion.
    Cheers!

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Houston, TX
    Posts
    7

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    We are currently in the middle of our pool build and were also faced with the Satin Matrix vs. Prism Matrix decision. I actually called Wet Edge directly for more information and they sent me some pictures, but there is nothing like seeing it in person. We finally found a pool in our area with the Prism option to go see, and there is a significant difference in the visual impact of the Prism over the regular Pearl/Satin finishes. It is truly beautiful and yes, we decided to pay the extra $ for it.

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    72

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    Quote Originally Posted by shylersl
    We are currently in the middle of our pool build and were also faced with the Satin Matrix vs. Prism Matrix decision. I actually called Wet Edge directly for more information and they sent me some pictures, but there is nothing like seeing it in person. We finally found a pool in our area with the Prism option to go see, and there is a significant difference in the visual impact of the Prism over the regular Pearl/Satin finishes. It is truly beautiful and yes, we decided to pay the extra $ for it.

    I wish I could find a pool to to check out Prism Matrix installed. But I just don't know where to check. We are in DFW.
    Which Prism Matrix finish/style did you pick?
    How much extra was it over Satin Matrix?

    Thanks for your input.
    Cheers!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Houston, TX
    Posts
    7

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    Our pool builder asked the local Wet Edge supplier to identify any area pools that were done in Prism and then got permission for us to visit. I'm sure your PB could do the same for you in the DFW area. We are going with the Indigo Blue. Our pool is a freeform—113 ln ft perimeter, 753 sq ft, 22545 gal—and the additional charge is about $2K.

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    72

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    Quote Originally Posted by shylersl
    Our pool builder asked the local Wet Edge supplier to identify any area pools that were done in Prism and then got permission for us to visit. I'm sure your PB could do the same for you in the DFW area. We are going with the Indigo Blue. Our pool is a freeform—113 ln ft perimeter, 753 sq ft, 22545 gal—and the additional charge is about $2K.
    Thanks for the info.
    Much appreciated !

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    72

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    Quote Originally Posted by shylersl
    Our pool builder asked the local Wet Edge supplier to identify any area pools that were done in Prism and then got permission for us to visit. I'm sure your PB could do the same for you in the DFW area. We are going with the Indigo Blue. Our pool is a freeform—113 ln ft perimeter, 753 sq ft, 22545 gal—and the additional charge is about $2K.
    We are struggling with the decision. Indigo Blue and Kaleidoscope look attractive. Our builder is still trying to find a local pool with these finishes.

    Would it be possible for you to share some pictures of your Indigo Blue finish?

    Thankyou so much!

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Houston, TX
    Posts
    7

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    I will try to take a few pics for you when I get home this afternoon and post them. I'm afraid the color will not be completely representative, as the pool only completed filling two days ago and we are brushing, adjusting chemistry, etc. I'll try to include a good close up shot of the finish which may be more helpful.

    Have you viewed the video clips of each of those colors that Wet Edge has posted on YouTube?

    More later...

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    72

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    Quote Originally Posted by shylersl
    I will try to take a few pics for you when I get home this afternoon and post them. I'm afraid the color will not be completely representative, as the pool only completed filling two days ago and we are brushing, adjusting chemistry, etc. I'll try to include a good close up shot of the finish which may be more helpful.

    Have you viewed the video clips of each of those colors that Wet Edge has posted on YouTube?

    More later...
    Thank you very much !
    Yes. I have watched all the videos and searched for pictures but there aren't that many available.

    So it sounds like you just got finished with your build - Congratulations !

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Houston, TX
    Posts
    7

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    OK, I will attempt to post some pictures. We are almost done with the pool, but still have the pergola and landscaping to deal with.

    Here is the sun shelf with a couple of close ups:





  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Houston, TX
    Posts
    7

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    Spa view

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Houston, TX
    Posts
    7

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    As I mentioned before, the pool is newly filled so color is just beginning to come around....


  14. Back To Top    #14
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    I have no opinion because I'm unfamiliar with the two choices.

    I will tell you that extremely clear water that sparkles wows people more than anything. Someone can look at my pool and not only see the main drain clearly, but can see that the screw heads are phillips head.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    72

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    shylersl:

    Thanks a lot for posting your pictures. I really appreciate it !
    Your pool looks very nice and Indigo Blue (as seen in the shallow) looks very attractive.
    The mix of light blue and purple glass has a very interesting/mesmerizing effect (on me).

    After looking at your Indigo Blue, I am leaning toward it unless I can find more pictures of a Kaleidoscope finish pool.
    Thanks again - much appreciated !

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    72

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I have no opinion because I'm unfamiliar with the two choices.

    I will tell you that extremely clear water that sparkles wows people more than anything. Someone can look at my pool and not only see the main drain clearly, but can see that the screw heads are phillips head.
    But can they tell if the screws are #4 or #6 ?

    Kidding aside: let me ask you what in your opinion yields 'extremely clean water that sparkles' other than great water chemistry?
    Is any particular color of plaster/pigment more conducive to achieving that look?
    Is there anything that else that can contribute to that?

  17. Back To Top    #17
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    I have plain white plaster. That's it. But it's kept brushed and balanced and the filter works good.

    Truthfully, all I've added to my pool in the last three years has been bleach, muriatic acid, and trichlor pucks when I leave town.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Huffman Tx
    Posts
    190

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    shylersl I am in NE HOUSTON also town called Huffman tx...

  19. Back To Top    #19
    sdspencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    Posts
    42

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    That's a beautiful pool shylersl! If you ever have a chance, could you post a picture of your stacked stone spa?
    Approx. 16k gal (16.5' x 30.5') Freeform, Salt Water, Stonescapes Tahoe Blue Mini Pebble, Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Hayward Shark Vac Cleaning Robot

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Huffman Tx
    Posts
    190

    Re: Premium waterline tile OR Premium pool surface/texture

    I was telling shyler I live near him .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •