Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG won't turn on

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG won't turn on

I just bought a home last month with an inground salt water pool.

It was a green murky mess at first, however, it is now clear (I used liquid chlorine for the first month). I recently had the water tested and added salt to the pool. The next day, I went to turn on the SWG, however, it didn't turn on (rookie mistake - I hadn't tested it out prior to this). It's a Zodiac Duo Clear 130. I've tried everything to get this thing to turn on (opened up the box - everything looks fine, looked at the breaker...etc). It's runs on the same breaker as my sand filter and pool heater and they are both operating fine.

I'm new to pool ownership and maintenance and I wanted to check in here before I pay for a hefty service call. Is there anything I'm missing or does this seems to be an electrical issue?
    The pool company I deal with told me to bring the box in to them and they'd look at it, however, it's wired into my house and I'm not sure how I would get it to unattach.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Also, I put a lot of salt in the pool and I've been running the filter constantly - the pool is cloudy now - is this due to the salt levels? Should I add chlorine until I can get the SWG working.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lakeland, FL

Re: SWG won't turn on

Yes add chlorine manually. Pools have a daily chlorine requirement.
    Does your unit have a flow sensor?
    Cells do wear out and need to be replaced. ... Clear.aspx
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

This SWG is only three years old. Would a replacement be likely at this stage?

I'm not sure if it has a flow sensor? How would I figure that out.

4. Back To Top    #4

Flower Mound, TX

Quote Originally Posted by staceycanada
    This SWG is only three years old. Would a replacement be likely at this stage?

I'm not sure if it has a flow sensor? How would I figure that out.
    Depending on the amount of wear on the cell, three years is not really unreasonable. All SWCG cells have a flow sensor that tells the unit when the water is moving so that it can, in turn, generate chlorine. The water must be moving for it to work and the flow sensor shuts the unit down if no water is moving.

What is you water temperature out of curiosity?
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Ashford, CT

If your in Canada and I assume your water is cold still most SWG's do not work until the water temp is around 70 degrees.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro

6. Back To Top    #6

My water temperature is around 70.

Would the prevent the system from even turning on?