CYA ???

ftbn

Jun 6, 2013
Hi Folks:: Via this forum, I found out that CYA Levels can disappear over the course of the winter..(hence my 3 weeks of green water and 20+ gallons of bleach)... Have my K-2006 arriving today, but just yesterday i added a container of Stabilizer that "should" bring my CYA level to 35... Instead of sprinkling the product around the perimeter, i made a "slurry" instead and SLOWLY poured it in the skimmer... SO THE QUESTION::: How long would I have to wait to take a CYA test ?? (( Some on the forum state that it could take up to 7 days for the stabilizer to "react" with the water ))

(But i'm dying to use the 2006 when it arrives) :-D

ftbn:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Since you have made a slurry and thus partially dissolving the product, it may show up on test results sooner than the seven days. I would still wait about 4-5 days to test in this case. With CYA, you want to be careful not to overshoot the recommended targets since it is much easier to add CYA than it is to remove it.

ftbn said:
Instead of sprinkling the product around the perimeter
Glad you did not do this. We recommend placing the product in a sock, panty hose, or old t-shirt that has been tied off and either placing it in front of a return jet or in the skimmer.

Remember not to backwash the filter for a week after adding CYA through the skimmer.

I would give it the full week to dissolve. While it will likely dissolve more quickly than that, there is only enough reagent in the K-2006 for a couple of CYA tests and it is best not to use it up at a time when there is any chance the reading might not be valid.

ftbn:

If you want to determine if you are losing FC to algae or other organics , I would run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (click the OCLT link in my sig for more info). This test removes sunlight as a contributor for FC consumption. If you lose more than 1 ppm FC on the OCLT, then you have algae or another organic contaminant.

ftbn said:
Hi Folks:: Via this forum, I found out that CYA Levels can disappear over the course of the winter..(hence my 3 weeks of green water and 20+ gallons of bleach)... Have my K-2006 arriving today, but just yesterday i added a container of Stabilizer that "should" bring my CYA level to 35... Instead of sprinkling the product around the perimeter, i made a "slurry" instead and SLOWLY poured it in the skimmer... SO THE QUESTION::: How long would I have to wait to take a CYA test ?? (( Some on the forum state that it could take up to 7 days for the stabilizer to "react" with the water ))

(But i'm dying to use the 2006 when it arrives) :-D
Did you test the CYA level before making the assumption that it disappeared over the winter?

20 gallons of bleach in three weeks is probably not taking things to shock level and keeping them there for days on end unless you have a really small pool, and high CYA could give you the same symptoms as no CYA: the bleach you pour in doesn't seem to do anything. That's why I'm asking.

Thanks Bo.. I also posted in the Algae board, but will do the OCLT tonight.. You mentioned "Organic Contaminants" I know I have decaying leaves in that pool still (I just cant see them to vacuum ) ?? Could these rotting leaves be eating this bleach..?

Rich, It's all an assumption that I lost the CYA.... Didnt have the reagent to test and flat out refuse to have the pool store "experts" do it for me.. But With that cover off since November and a pretty snowy winter, as well as losing 4-5ppm in a few hours of direct sun, it was my hope that Zero CYA was the culprit.. (( CYA level in July last year was 35))

ftbn said:
Thanks Bo.. I also posted in the Algae board, but will do the OCLT tonight.. You mentioned "Organic Contaminants" I know I have decaying leaves in that pool still (I just cant see them to vacuum ) ?? Could these rotting leaves be eating this bleach..?
In case he's offline, I'll answer for him: Yes, absolutely.

Use a leaf rake even if you're working blind, to scoop out as much as you can. Saves bleach, speeds things up.
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

ftbn said:
Rich, It's all an assumption that I lost the CYA.... Didnt have the reagent to test and flat out refuse to have the pool store "experts" do it for me.. But With that cover off since November and a pretty snowy winter, as well as losing 4-5ppm in a few hours of direct sun, it was my hope that Zero CYA was the culprit.. (( CYA level in July last year was 35))
Oh, dear :( Working blind. No wonder you've seen no progress.

20 gallons of chlorine gave their lives for nothing...

Well, once you get a full set of results (and scoop out the crud while you wait for the kit) you should be able to at least get the pool to change colors by the weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I clogged the vacuum/ skimmer basket a good 10 times yesterday while attempting the "blind" thing... But your suggestion Rich, is to continue vacuuming and hold off on shock levels ? Never ever encountered this mess before... Use to be the envy of the neighborhood....Now Im the laughing stock !! : >

ftbn said:
I clogged the vacuum/ skimmer basket a good 10 times yesterday while attempting the "blind" thing... But your suggestion Rich, is to continue vacuuming and hold off on shock levels ? Never ever encountered this mess before... Use to be the envy of the neighborhood....Now Im the laughing stock !! : >
Leaf rake for the big stuff. vacuum for the rest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.