Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA ???

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA ???

Hi Folks:: Via this forum, I found out that CYA Levels can disappear over the course of the winter..(hence my 3 weeks of green water and 20+ gallons of bleach)... Have my K-2006 arriving today, but just yesterday i added a container of Stabilizer that "should" bring my CYA level to 35... Instead of sprinkling the product around the perimeter, i made a "slurry" instead and SLOWLY poured it in the skimmer... SO THE QUESTION::: How long would I have to wait to take a CYA test ?? (( Some on the forum state that it could take up to 7 days for the stabilizer to "react" with the water ))

(But i'm dying to use the 2006 when it arrives)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA ???

ftbn:

Welcome to TFP

Since you have made a slurry and thus partially dissolving the product, it may show up on test results sooner than the seven days. I would still wait about 4-5 days to test in this case. With CYA, you want to be careful not to overshoot the recommended targets since it is much easier to add CYA than it is to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by ftbn
    Instead of sprinkling the product around the perimeter
    Glad you did not do this. We recommend placing the product in a sock, panty hose, or old t-shirt that has been tied off and either placing it in front of a return jet or in the skimmer.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Remember not to backwash the filter for a week after adding CYA through the skimmer.

I would give it the full week to dissolve. While it will likely dissolve more quickly than that, there is only enough reagent in the K-2006 for a couple of CYA tests and it is best not to use it up at a time when there is any chance the reading might not be valid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Guys !! Above all this, I added the CYA just as Im dealing with an (assumed) Algae issue ! But i just wanted to know whether I'm losing FC to sunlight OR algae....

5. Back To Top    #5

ftbn:

If you want to determine if you are losing FC to algae or other organics , I would run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (click the OCLT link in my sig for more info). This test removes sunlight as a contributor for FC consumption. If you lose more than 1 ppm FC on the OCLT, then you have algae or another organic contaminant.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Folks:: Via this forum, I found out that CYA Levels can disappear over the course of the winter..(hence my 3 weeks of green water and 20+ gallons of bleach)... Have my K-2006 arriving today, but just yesterday i added a container of Stabilizer that "should" bring my CYA level to 35... Instead of sprinkling the product around the perimeter, i made a "slurry" instead and SLOWLY poured it in the skimmer... SO THE QUESTION::: How long would I have to wait to take a CYA test ?? (( Some on the forum state that it could take up to 7 days for the stabilizer to "react" with the water ))

(But i'm dying to use the 2006 when it arrives)
    Did you test the CYA level before making the assumption that it disappeared over the winter?

20 gallons of bleach in three weeks is probably not taking things to shock level and keeping them there for days on end unless you have a really small pool, and high CYA could give you the same symptoms as no CYA: the bleach you pour in doesn't seem to do anything. That's why I'm asking.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Bo.. I also posted in the Algae board, but will do the OCLT tonight.. You mentioned "Organic Contaminants" I know I have decaying leaves in that pool still (I just cant see them to vacuum ) ?? Could these rotting leaves be eating this bleach..?

8. Back To Top    #8

Rich, It's all an assumption that I lost the CYA.... Didnt have the reagent to test and flat out refuse to have the pool store "experts" do it for me.. But With that cover off since November and a pretty snowy winter, as well as losing 4-5ppm in a few hours of direct sun, it was my hope that Zero CYA was the culprit.. (( CYA level in July last year was 35))

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Bo.. I also posted in the Algae board, but will do the OCLT tonight.. You mentioned "Organic Contaminants" I know I have decaying leaves in that pool still (I just cant see them to vacuum ) ?? Could these rotting leaves be eating this bleach..?
    In case he's offline, I'll answer for him: Yes, absolutely.

Use a leaf rake even if you're working blind, to scoop out as much as you can. Saves bleach, speeds things up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Rich, It's all an assumption that I lost the CYA.... Didnt have the reagent to test and flat out refuse to have the pool store "experts" do it for me.. But With that cover off since November and a pretty snowy winter, as well as losing 4-5ppm in a few hours of direct sun, it was my hope that Zero CYA was the culprit.. (( CYA level in July last year was 35))
    Oh, dear Working blind. No wonder you've seen no progress.

20 gallons of chlorine gave their lives for nothing...

Well, once you get a full set of results (and scoop out the crud while you wait for the kit) you should be able to at least get the pool to change colors by the weekend.

11. Back To Top    #11

I clogged the vacuum/ skimmer basket a good 10 times yesterday while attempting the "blind" thing... But your suggestion Rich, is to continue vacuuming and hold off on shock levels ? Never ever encountered this mess before... Use to be the envy of the neighborhood....Now Im the laughing stock !! : >

12. Back To Top    #12

I clogged the vacuum/ skimmer basket a good 10 times yesterday while attempting the "blind" thing... But your suggestion Rich, is to continue vacuuming and hold off on shock levels ? Never ever encountered this mess before... Use to be the envy of the neighborhood....Now Im the laughing stock !! : >
    Leaf rake for the big stuff. vacuum for the rest.