Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump replacement plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump replacement plumbing

So I want to replace my pump. The outflow pipe is easy. Just saw gray pipe after union and get new fittings. I'd use a MIP/SLIP fitting so pump is removable without cutting PVC in the future. What should I do on the intake side? I don't see any spot I could cut between the valve and pump that would leave enough PVC for a union. Would I have to cut the two "legs sticking out of the ground" of that Jandy valve and rebuild from there?

FWIW - I'm replacing the current pump with a Intelliflo VF (011012) pump. Reasons are:

• I want a very quite pump (read that 2 speed pumps don't have same TEFC motor).
      I want to save energy
      I want to control the flow rate, not just speed (yes, I could get a $40 flow meter, but see next reson)
      I want to sniff the rs485 port and devise my own automation controller. I'm curious if I can access pump status like temps/flow rate/current wattage/etc. I at least want to be able to tell the pump to "run programX" with my own device (synapse wireless devices).

Someday, I'd like to install a solar heater. From what I've read here, this pump should work with that plan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15k gallon, salt water, plaster, Pentair IntelliFlo pump, Hayward 48 sq ft DE filter, Pentair Intellichlor, hayward Aquanat 200 pool vac ultra located in Phoenix, AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump replacement plumbing

Are you sure the intelliflo will fit in that space? It is a big pump.

Also the inlet may need a height adjustment. You could use a large coupler on the outside of that Jandy valve and then use a larger pipe into the pump, not sure there is room for a union though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Good point. Specs for VF pump say it's 23" long. My current configuration is actually 26" long. Too bad they didn't specify the intake port distance in reference to bottom of pump.
    15k gallon, salt water, plaster, Pentair IntelliFlo pump, Hayward 48 sq ft DE filter, Pentair Intellichlor, hayward Aquanat 200 pool vac ultra located in Phoenix, AZ

4. Back To Top    #4

This would be a good time to change out that old Jandy 3-way valve for a new Jandy Never-Lube 3-way valve.

5. Back To Top    #5

The diagrams usually show the vertical distance to the inlet and the distance from the front to the outlet. Pretty sure It is actually the same wet end as the Whisperflo.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!