Pump replacement plumbing

yzf600

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
So I want to replace my pump. The outflow pipe is easy. Just saw gray pipe after union and get new fittings. I'd use a MIP/SLIP fitting so pump is removable without cutting PVC in the future. What should I do on the intake side? I don't see any spot I could cut between the valve and pump that would leave enough PVC for a union. Would I have to cut the two "legs sticking out of the ground" of that Jandy valve and rebuild from there?

FWIW - I'm replacing the current pump with a Intelliflo VF (011012) pump. Reasons are:

• I want a very quite pump (read that 2 speed pumps don't have same TEFC motor).
    I want to save energy
    I want to control the flow rate, not just speed (yes, I could get a $40 flow meter, but see next reson)
    I want to sniff the rs485 port and devise my own automation controller. I'm curious if I can access pump status like temps/flow rate/current wattage/etc. I at least want to be able to tell the pump to "run programX" with my own device (synapse wireless devices).

Someday, I'd like to install a solar heater. From what I've read here, this pump should work with that plan.

Attachments

• pump-plumbing2.jpg
    pump-plumbing2.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 44
Are you sure the intelliflo will fit in that space? It is a big pump.

Also the inlet may need a height adjustment. You could use a large coupler on the outside of that Jandy valve and then use a larger pipe into the pump, not sure there is room for a union though.

The diagrams usually show the vertical distance to the inlet and the distance from the front to the outlet. Pretty sure It is actually the same wet end as the Whisperflo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.