need temp vac alternative

May 24, 2013
Arizona
Have 22x52 intex ultra frame using the 2500 size b cartridge sys that came with it while pentaire dynamo pump gets repaired and installed at which point ill be putting hayword thru wall skimmer and using auto vac.

Right now live in az and im getting alot of sand build up on bottom tried brush and running filter but not sufficient the winds blowing and my bottom is getting alot if sand the vac that comes with this system is beyond useless has the mesh bag so it doesnt even run through the filtrr and the debri especially the sand just flows right through that mesh bag. Ive got plenty of hose is there anyway to run a hose attach to whichever is the intake (is that the lowest or highest valve in pool?) And just get in swim to bottom use the hose for my auto vac without a head and suck the sand from the bottom and run through filter. Ive got a replacement cartridge so i can just take that one off and replace it. Will that work? If so can someone walk me through the set up for it where and how to attach the hose so i can Suck sand up and go through filter. Pentair wont be hooked up for another week and cant wait that long to get it vac'd.

Do you have the vacuum head that uses the garden hose and has a mesh bag? I used to have one like that. I put a pair of panty hose onto the vacuum head then I put the mesh bag on. The panty hose will filter out smaller particles. I put the mesh bag on top of the panty hose because the bag has the drawstring that holds it all together. This worked fairly well.

NOTE: This does not connect to a pump in any way.

Dont know if first option will work i have no debri just pure sand....the second i didnt want to spend 70 when auto vac will be avail next wk. When u did the pantyhose thing did it pick up dirt sand or just leaves and bugs. Does anyone know if i can hook up a vac head and hose to this 2500 size b cartridge filter to get the sand out. Whoever thought this hose thing was a good idea was crazy.

The panty hose were on a vac head that had a hole in the middle about 6"on diameter.The panty hose and mesh bag tie over the hole with a drawstring. A garden hose attaches to the vac head and the water flow stires up the debris and the panty house catches it before it can go thru the mesh bag. Not perfect but way better than just scooping with a net.
I think these vac heads run about $30
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Panty hose will catch a lot of stuff but if it doesn't get it all, try a pair of Tights. The weave is more dense on tights. Tho I don't remember ever thinking "man I wonder if tights would do better". I have however doubled the pantyhose for better filtering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

This is how I used to use the vacuum head that came with the pool with the cartridge filter that also came with the pool before I upgraded my pump/filter. Wrap a few rounds of electrical tape around the end of your hose that goes into the vacuum head to make a tight fit in the Intex head where that stupid little mesh bag ties on. The other end of the vacuum hose should snugly fit inside the hose that goes to the skimmer basket. Put a pantyhose between the vacuum hose and the skimmer basket hose. I always used the foot end and put a few inches into the hose to make it like a little bag. It will catch all of the fine debris, and you can bring it up above the water level to take it out (shut the pump off first!) so it doesn't all fall back into the pool. You could also use tights like the previous poster said to catch even finer stuff, it just may make it a bit more difficult to fit the vacuum hose into the skimmer hose. Hopefully that makes sense!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.