I knew I would love you guys here.
I'm a first time homeowner in Austin, TX, and a first time pool owner.
I've been silently sponging information from this forum for about 3 weeks - and have turned a black/green swamp into a decently clear and blue pool. AG round 10k gal w/ Sand (Hayward) Filter
I'd love to post about a few points I've observed, as well as some questions.
1) Pool store tests are overrated. You guys were spot on. I didn't believe this until I tested my pool w/ TF100 vs. pool store's readings. See below for current readings.
pH: 6.4 (WHAT?)
Home Test w/ TF100:
2) BBB works. All I've used is bleach, baking soda, borax. 24/7 pump run for 3 weeks. No chemicals, and I've maintained my pool daily at tops. While it hasn't changed quickly (mostly, in part, due to my less-than-ideal daily care schedule), it has only gotten better. Now I can see the bottom of pool, consequent of which I have removed about a billion pounds of old leaves from the bottom.
3) At what point can you swim in the pool? I've thrown a lot of chemicals in this bad boy. While FC isn't holding overnight (I put in 128oz 12% bleach last night [only 10ppm shock, need 16], tested today [see above], and I'm back at zero) I think a few more days of proper shock level treatment should make it good to go. Thoughts?
4) I've got some dirt/organics at the bottom of the pool that my skimmer pump vacuum has been awfully slow at picking up. Any recommendations on how to get to this faster to make the water pristine? Or... is it a work in progress over the season?
5) How necessary IS adding DE to your sand filter to speed filtering? It seems like a fairly advanced process that you have to fine tune extraordinarily precisely - am I just being a n00b?
Attached are pictures that prove the simple and effective nature of a methodical implementation of the methods listed here.
Most of all, THANK YOU.