Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool School n00b Success Story

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool School n00b Success Story

I knew I would love you guys here.

I'm a first time homeowner in Austin, TX, and a first time pool owner.

I've been silently sponging information from this forum for about 3 weeks - and have turned a black/green swamp into a decently clear and blue pool. AG round 10k gal w/ Sand (Hayward) Filter

I'd love to post about a few points I've observed, as well as some questions.
    1) Pool store tests are overrated. You guys were spot on. I didn't believe this until I tested my pool w/ TF100 vs. pool store's readings. See below for current readings.
    Pool Store:
    FC: 0.2
    CC: 0.0
    pH: 6.4 (WHAT?)
    CH: 155
    TA: 30
    CYA: 90

Home Test w/ TF100:
    FC: 0.0
    CC: 1.0
    pH: 7.5
    CH: 250
    TA: 140
    CYA: 40

2) BBB works. All I've used is bleach, baking soda, borax. 24/7 pump run for 3 weeks. No chemicals, and I've maintained my pool daily at tops. While it hasn't changed quickly (mostly, in part, due to my less-than-ideal daily care schedule), it has only gotten better. Now I can see the bottom of pool, consequent of which I have removed about a billion pounds of old leaves from the bottom.

3) At what point can you swim in the pool? I've thrown a lot of chemicals in this bad boy. While FC isn't holding overnight (I put in 128oz 12% bleach last night [only 10ppm shock, need 16], tested today [see above], and I'm back at zero) I think a few more days of proper shock level treatment should make it good to go. Thoughts?

4) I've got some dirt/organics at the bottom of the pool that my skimmer pump vacuum has been awfully slow at picking up. Any recommendations on how to get to this faster to make the water pristine? Or... is it a work in progress over the season?

5) How necessary IS adding DE to your sand filter to speed filtering? It seems like a fairly advanced process that you have to fine tune extraordinarily precisely - am I just being a n00b?

Attached are pictures that prove the simple and effective nature of a methodical implementation of the methods listed here.

Most of all, THANK YOU.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool School n00b Success Story

Welcome to TFP!!!

Nice work!!! You are making great progress

1. Preach it

2. Many people never need baking soda or borax. The BBB method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

3. You can swim when you complete the shock process and the FC drops below the shock level.

4. Are you using a manual vacuum slowly along the bottom to pick up the debris? It should not take all season ... just a few days.

5. It is not very advanced but can certainly help clear up the cloudiness, slowly add DE until the pressure rises 1 psi then when the pressure rises 20-25%, backwash and start over.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Although my FC is at zero (after raising to 10 yesterday)... sounds like more work to be done. Going to keep shocking at 16, then try the overnight FC loss test this weekend, and see how it does. Will update here once that's done.

4. Back To Top    #4

Try using a leaf rake to get rid of the debris at the bottom... It looks like a mesh bag at the end of the pole. The good news is that you can now see it to get it out.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I had way more junk than that on the bottom of mine. I was able to vacuum it all out over 2 days.
    Aaron
    26' Octagon, IG Pool, ~16gal, 5-5 1/2' deep, Liner, Sand Filter, Polaris Autoclear salt system, 3/4hp Pump, Pool Blaster Max Vacuum, TF-100 Test Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks - will try a leaf rake and extensive vacuuming and post an update.

7. Back To Top    #7

Nice work! Things are looking good!

8. Back To Top    #8

I've had good luck using a "leaf gulper" on occasion. It doesn't stir the leaves up as much as I do when I use a leaf rake, so I can get more up in one session.

http://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Blue-Lea.../dp/B002WKO8OK
    35,000 gallons - inground vinyl liner -- sand filter - 1 HP, 50.76 GPM - Aqua Rite T-Cell 15 SWG - Dolphin Apollo Plus - TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Almost there... now just to jump in and vacuum.

FC is holding overnight and pool is crystal clear. To maintain proper FC levels throughout summer - should I even think about trichlor tabs in a floatie? Or should I just continue a periodic treatment of bleach based on poolcalculator?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ATXrugger
    Almost there... now just to jump in and vacuum.

FC is holding overnight and pool is crystal clear. To maintain proper FC levels throughout summer - should I even think about trichlor tabs in a floatie? Or should I just continue a periodic treatment of bleach based on poolcalculator?
    If you have to ask, the answer is no. No trichlor for you.

Besides adding chlorine, they raise CYA levels, and lower pH and TA. So if you want to use them, you need to balance 4 parameters.

Maybe later on, when you have a good grasp of the balancing act and know your pool and can decide for yourself if the various add-ons are useful, then sure.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

[center:34gxgm41][attachment=0:34gxgm41]2nopucksforyou.jpg[/attachment:34gxgm41][/center:34gxgm41]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome to tfp, ATXrugger

Your a doing great! What is your CC level?

@richard...
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.