Overwhelmed with leveling information

Jun 5, 2013
So my daughters bday is Friday so I bought the 18x48 ultra frame and the $129 saltwater system. I'm a perfectionist and want this thing done right. I've read hundreds of posts and watched quite a few videos. At this point I rented a sod cutter and took off the 20 circle. The soil is very good, very compact underneath. As it stands I'm about 2-2.5 off level across the 20 feet. My plan (at this point) is to order enough sand for a 2-4 inch base the i can use to get the final level. At that point I'm going to cut the 6 inch pieces of treated deck board with the beveled edge and sink them in the leveled sand, positioned with the assembled top. Then I plan to water and tamp the sand, cover it with a hd tarp then set up the pool. Any glaring issues or suggestions for improvement (I've read a lot on styrofoam and it seems smart. I'm just not sure I need it and how to add it to the steps planned. I guess level the sand then put the foam down and recess the wood in the foam)? Thanks in advance!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

If you have read than many posts, then you know that trying to level it with sand is not a good idea. You should lower the high area to be within 1".

Honestly, I am not sure how you will get this setup, filled, and balanced by Friday if that is your goal. That I think may be pushing you to take short cuts on the leveling which could bite you in the future.

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I meant to include I know this won't all happen by Friday. She'll open the box :-D Well on the sand I've seen so many different replies I can't make sense of it. I took the sod down deep 1-2 inches so I have a lip that should help with washout if I only use it to level an inch or two and pavers or wood to prevent the sinking.

Forgot to add if I should cut out the high end can i till it then take the tilled solid to the low side, roll it and tamp it the. Apply the sand?

And also on the leveling with sand, what's the max variance in level you would want for 18 feet? I understand not leveling with sand if you're off by 6 inches but I don't seen how a couple is a problem if tamped with pavers.

I'll just basically echo what JB said. You do not want to level with sand. If you have good compactable soil you might be able to move some from the high side to the low side and compact it, but if you do you're still taking a chance. With it already being within 2½" of level I'd just take the high side down the 2½" and not have to worry about all the backfilling and compacting.

I concur. Do not try to "add" anything to the low side. It may appear compact but the first time you get a little rain it will soften up and that side will start to sink. Just take the high side down the 2.5 inches. Also forget about the sand. It's useful when you have a hard/metal sided pull with a cove but will only wash away and become unlevel as you walk and displace it underneath your pool. I base of undisturbed ground with a good heavy duty pad placed on the group before the pool liner is the way to go! Don’t go cheep here if you want your pool to last. If you think a tarp will do it I would advise you to reconsider. Purchase a heavy duty pad!

If you are within 2.5" over twenty feet, you should be able to get it level with a rake. You can rake some dirt from the high side to the low side, 1" of dirt will not be a problem to pack down. Pack the dirt down and then run a sprinkler over the dirt for a while. I wouldn't think that it wouldn't take more than an hour or so to level that out.

Use a 2x6 with a level taped to it, easy.
Also, a lawn edge tool and a good shovel are advised, if you look in my signature you'll see a link to my build where I used these tools, pool turned out <1" of level.

And just to pile on: don't level with sand, surely no professional videos showed that.

Ok so I used a little tiller on the higher end and it worked great. The ground is SUPER compact black loamy dirt and I sold the sod it was so nice. Tomorrow I plan to level with the 10ft 2x6 with a 4 ft level on top. I hit Menards today and got white poly foam for $12 a sheet for 1.5 inch. I got two rolls of gorilla tape and 20 pavers. I think I plan to lay that then put the frame together to get the paver placement, placing on the inner edge of the paver to allow for expansion while filling, then cut them out and recess in the foam. Finally I'll cover with the included tarp and set up. Any suggestions to make cutting the pavers into the foam easier? I've always used a razor knife but against the grain is always messy. Thanks for all the quick feedback!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.