Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH in vinyl pool - why the minimum target?

1. Back To Top    #1

CH in vinyl pool - why the minimum target?

Just out of curiosity, if CH is not a concern in a vinyl pool, and some people have 0 or very low CH with no problem, why recommend the minimum of 50 at all? Reference http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...mmended_levels. My level is testing at 40, so I plan to leave it, but I was just curious about that minimum value.

Thanks!
    17100 Gallon round above ground pool, 27' diameter
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    SWG for Chlorine
    Cartridge filter, 2hp pump
    Located near Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH in vinyl pool - why the minimum target?

Welcome to TFP!

When we were making up the standard levels we discovered that we don't have enough examples of vinyl pools with CH below 50 to be completely sure what happens. The few vinyl pools we know of with CH that low never had any problems, but there weren't enough of them for us to be completely sure. Thus, we picked 50, because we can be completely sure of 50.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Reasonable! Thanks
    17100 Gallon round above ground pool, 27' diameter
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    SWG for Chlorine
    Cartridge filter, 2hp pump
    Located near Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

4. Back To Top    #4

My CH is currently at 20. I will let you know if I notice any problems this year. I was running about 30 last year, and I assume since the pool was installed. The pool is about 7 years old, and I have not noticed any problems.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

5. Back To Top    #5

I've had zero CH for the last 5 years and have had no problems. The vinyl is just as supple as the day it was installed. Since I've followed the TFP method almost since the beginning I don't know if that is the reason or the zero CH is.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I havent added any calcium in my vinyl pool for 3 years. It's basically zero. Never had an issue
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

This forum is awesome. I was going to post and ask about this very thing but here's my answer and I didn't even have to ask the question!
    32K in ground vinyl pool installed in the early 1990s
    1.5 HP Centurion pump installed in the September of 2012, replaced under warranty in August of 2013
    2.6 SF Hayward sand filter - age unknown but looks pretty new
    Jandy AE-TI heat pump - age unknown but looks new and works great
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system - works, but not well....on my list of things to work on.
    Aqua-rite SWG - new in about 2006, T-15 cell replaced in summer of 2012

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mmcgovern
    This forum is awesome. I was going to post and ask about this very thing but here's my answer and I didn't even have to ask the question!
    Thanks for using the search function ... amazing what you can find
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

The devil is in the details. If you have a vinyl liner pool with fiberglass steps you may need to maintain a CH of 150, otherwise your steps can become compromised and/or end up with blistering.

See this thread for details and pics: did-low-calcium-cause-my-fiberglass-steps-to-blister-t65720.html
    29,700 Gallon Vinyl Roman End, Sta-Rite Max-Therm-400HD gas heater, Sta-Rite S7M120 cartridge filter, Pool Pilot DIG-220 SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

Good point. I suppose I should error on the side of caution then and add some.
    32K in ground vinyl pool installed in the early 1990s
    1.5 HP Centurion pump installed in the September of 2012, replaced under warranty in August of 2013
    2.6 SF Hayward sand filter - age unknown but looks pretty new
    Jandy AE-TI heat pump - age unknown but looks new and works great
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system - works, but not well....on my list of things to work on.
    Aqua-rite SWG - new in about 2006, T-15 cell replaced in summer of 2012

11. Back To Top    #11

Much the same here, liner is about 8 years old, have not added any CH in a few years, fill water has a CH of 30 ppm , pool currently just under 40 ppm CH. Note some liner manufacturers specify certain CH for warranty coverage, if this is just a random number or not I don't know.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~