Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: In-ground Vs. Above-ground suction cleaners

In-ground Vs. Above-ground suction cleaners

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between above-ground and in-ground suction cleaners?

I am a new pool owner and I am looking to buy a suction cleaner, but I don't understand why the suction cleaners that say they are for above ground pools are half the price of "in-ground" cleaners. I want to get the right tool for the job, but at the same time I don't want to spend more than I have to if the functionality is the same.

Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

David from Oklahoma

Generally the difference is that above ground cleaners are designed to run on a flat bottom, while in ground cleaners are designed to handle a sloped bottom.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

In gound cleaners also will climb pool walls.

Yep, my Polaris 280 (for inground) climbs all the way up to the coping many times during its run.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

I've been meaning to ask a similar question. I have an AG pool with a deep end. I assume I can't use the AG pool cleaners, because I don't have a flat bottom, but have wondered if I can use the IG pool cleaners.

Johanna
    1984 vintage 16x32 Doughboy vinyl AG w/deep end, Sand Filter