Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In-ground Vs. Above-ground suction cleaners

1. Back To Top    #1

Duncan, Oklahoma

In-ground Vs. Above-ground suction cleaners

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between above-ground and in-ground suction cleaners?

I am a new pool owner and I am looking to buy a suction cleaner, but I don't understand why the suction cleaners that say they are for above ground pools are half the price of "in-ground" cleaners. I want to get the right tool for the job, but at the same time I don't want to spend more than I have to if the functionality is the same.

Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

David from Oklahoma

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    Generally the difference is that above ground cleaners are designed to run on a flat bottom, while in ground cleaners are designed to handle a sloped bottom.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    In gound cleaners also will climb pool walls.

4. Back To Top    #4

Central Texas
    Yep, my Polaris 280 (for inground) climbs all the way up to the coping many times during its run.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

Asheville, NC
    I've been meaning to ask a similar question. I have an AG pool with a deep end. I assume I can't use the AG pool cleaners, because I don't have a flat bottom, but have wondered if I can use the IG pool cleaners.

1984 vintage 16x32 Doughboy vinyl AG w/deep end, Sand Filter