Broken Pavers Under Support Legs HELP!-Intex Regtangular

May 20, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hi Trouble Free Pool Members,

I need your advice and assistance. I'm off level and sinking; and so is my pool :wink:

I just installed an Intex 12 X 24 X 52 Ultra Frame rectangular pool on professionally leveled and compacted clay soil. I used 12 X 12 1.5 inch thick concrete pavers under each support leg. As the pool filled, 9 of the 18 pavers broke taking the pool off level by 3 inches; now, one week later, all but two have broken and the legs are sinking into the now saturated clay soil (had two days of heavy rain).

I have drained the pool and am installing new 16 X 16 2 inch thick concrete pavers supported by 12 inches of compacted dry paving mix; ABC, which is an aggregate mix of rocks, stone, and concrete stabilized base. The Intex manual calls only for 15 X 15 by 1.5 pressurized wood under each support leg (which would just sink into my moist clay soil when under pressure from the support legs).

Sorry to be so long winded. Please advise if my new pavers installed over 12 inches of compacted dry paving mix will also crack. Should I place the 15 X 15 X 1.5 pieces of wood on top of the new pavers? HELP!!!!!

I eagerly await your helpful advice! This site is fantastic; much better than the instruction manual that came with the pool!

Were the old ones really concrete pavers or were they cinderblock, etc. pavers?
Are the new ones really concrete pavers?

If they're true concrete pavers I think they'll probably hold up fine. If they're something else they might or might not hold up. If you have doubts you could put a square of 3/4" treated plywood under each leg on top of the paver. That will spread out the load stresses.

Hi Bama Rambler,

Thank you for your reply!

The old ones were cynderblock type pavers. When I checked the specifications for the new ones, they were for foot traffic only so I felt uncomfortable using them and returned them to the store. After more research, I think I should be using pressure treated wood on top of the compacted aggregate paving mixture and install the wood so that the grain runs vertical to the support leg to help distribute weight and prevent splitting.

So, I bought pressure treated 2 X 8 pieces of wood and had them cut into 16 inch pieces. I am placing two completely level side by side pieces under each leg for a 16 X 16 coverage area. So, under each leg, I have 12 inches of compacted aggregate paving mixture, a bit of compacted fine concrete sand for leveling, and 2 inches of pressure treated lumber; hoping that will provide the needed stability. BTW, I also compacted the paving mixture at every two inches with a plate tamper to ensure 12 inches is well compacted.

Please advise if you think I should also place the 3/4" treated plywood on top of the 2 X 8's.

Thanks again!

The 2x8's should be fine. The only thing I'd be concerned about is the joint between the boards separating when the legs put a load on them. It's probably a non-issue but that's the only thing I could think of.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.