Does a SWG "use-up" salt and that's why we have to add more?

TroubleFreePat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So I got my orientation today from the pool tech. I asked why the installers put SO much salt in (SWG is reading 4700PPM, but still producing chlorine.) He didn't have an answer, figures they messed up.

Anyway, I was talking to him about chemicals and I said the chlorine is getting used up VERY quickly, especially since there's no CYA in the pool yet. He said good - let the SWG keep generating chlorine since it's getting used up so fast to get the salt level back down. I didn't argue, but that didn't sound right to me at all. I just read in the pool school that as the chrlorine gets used up, it turns back into salt. Interesting. So he was wrong (Which is also interesting.) Am I reading this correctly?

So my question is - why over the course of a summer do people have to sometimes add salt? Is it due to water simply being splashed out and such? I read somewhere else that salt does not dissipate as water evaporates. If so, then it's simply for people splashing about. Same question for when opening up in the spring. We have an auto cover and as such, we'll have to keep our water level where it normally is to support weight for snow and such in the winter for the cover. So would I need to add salt in the spring?

Re: Does a SWG "use-up" salt and that's why we have to add m

No, the salt does not get used up. Get the CYA in the water and let the SWG work less hard and extend its life.

You only need to add salt that is lost to splash-out or backwashing sand and DE filters or overflow due to a lot of rain.

Just test the salt level in the spring and adjust as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.