Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fine sandy dirt in AG pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Fine sandy dirt in AG pool

I live in El Paso, Tx, and we have very fine sandy dirt here. I recently set up a 15' x 42" above ground pool, but had some windy weather and alas, the bottom of my pool has a layer of this dirt on it. My pool came with a simple "vacuum" that is the type that uses water pressure from a garden hose. The bag that comes with it does not trap the dirt, and I'm looking for suggestions. I bought some nylons today, and will try to layer those inside the original bag, but I'm not sure if that will work. I am also thinking about getting some skimmer socks and adapting those to the "vacuum".
    4000 gal. AG vinyl pool with cartridge filter & 80 watt 2.2 amp 1075 GPH pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fine sandy dirt in AG pool

Is this an Intex or "bag pool",

a steel pipe frame with vinyl,

or a full steel walled AG "Doughboy"?

If you have a hard walled pool you should have standard AG fitting and you can read about differnt filter options here:
    pool-school/pool_filter_comparison

If you have an Intex soft-walled pool (the first two), you likely have Intex "custom" fittings that mean you need to stay with Intex filters, or change your fitting to work with standard AG equipment. Some people have changed the skimmer frame to a standard AG body.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

It's a Summer Escapes pool, very much like the second picture, a steel pipe frame with vinyl. It has a skimmer type cartridge filter that's attached to the wall of the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

To run any kind of automatic cleaner you will have to have a larger pump filter setup which would actually make your time spent working at the pool less but I understand if you don't want to spend that kind of money to get a duifferent kind of setup. This is the kind of cleaner I am talking about just for image purpose not trying to promote buying from anyone. http://www.poolsuppliessuperstore.com/p ... MgodhgcAWQ
    18' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, Intex Sand filter 2650gph pump with saltwater generator,lady bug automatic vaccum cleaner, Hydropools wide mouth skimmer, all hard plumbed 1.5" PVC

5. Back To Top    #5

I looked at your setup and based on what I understand you have the Type A or Type C cartridge in the bottom of the skimmer frame with the pump below. This pump doesn't have the power required to run the AquaBot suggested by edavis.

IMHO this is essentialy the same as the Intex filters. They barely have enough power to turn the water over in a single day of 24/7 pumping. I had several Intex type bag pools with the same pump or collection of pumps. I was always fighting the pool.

If possible, I would consider craigslisting a standard AG pool pump/filter setup from someone looking to dump an AG pool. Buy the pool to get it's pump and filter and then sell the pool or recycle the walls. It will require you change the fittings and the skimmer but you can find how here. I just found one locally $250 for 16x24 oval with pump filter and all the stuff needed.

I would stick with a good brand Hayward, Pentair...
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

... then you could add the AquaBot and have more play time.
    -- Guy --

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is an idea...

I just got a pool similar to yours, but I had a "blob" pool before. The blob pool pump {500gph] failed, so I got a 1500 gph pump at my local Lowes store.

I saved that pump when I junked the pool, and plan on adapting it to the Intex vacuum wand as a stand alone cleaning pump. Surely the integral A/C cartridge would filter out the sand better than the standard cotton bag?

1500gph pump was about $50 at Lowes last year...

8. Back To Top    #8

You could toss a tiny bit of clarifier/floc in the pool, follow the instructions on the bottle, and then vacuum. I have the Intex 14x48 that hold 3500 gals and I toss in less than a teaspoon. A bottle is not cheap but it will last for several years.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you everyone for your responses! I tried the nylon combination I mentioned in a previous post, and while it worked (until it came off because I didn't secure it well enough), it was super slow and would have taken me hours. I went and bought a vacuum hose, which I discovered does work with the little vacuum head that came with the pool. One of the reasons I didn't want to try it is that a person at the pool store (imagine that) told me it wouldn't work, and that I needed to buy a better filter (imagine that). I hooked it up, and had 1/4" layer of dirt vacuumed in a little over 1/2 hr. I had to remove and clean the cartridge filter twice, but it worked nicely.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Tommcgtx
    Thank you everyone for your responses! I tried the nylon combination I mentioned in a previous post, and while it worked (until it came off because I didn't secure it well enough), it was super slow and would have taken me hours. I went and bought a vacuum hose, which I discovered does work with the little vacuum head that came with the pool. One of the reasons I didn't want to try it is that a person at the pool store (imagine that) told me it wouldn't work, and that I needed to buy a better filter (imagine that). I hooked it up, and had 1/4" layer of dirt vacuumed in a little over 1/2 hr. I had to remove and clean the cartridge filter twice, but it worked nicely.
    Post a picture of the setup - there's lots of people with the same setup and they don't want to make the plunge and end up wasting money if it doesn't work. Plus I'm sure the pool store told them it wouldn't work, too.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Tom ,

Great to hear the nylons helped. I have been trying them in my skimmer.

Can I ask that you update your signature and profile this the information from this thread. It really helps when we are reading your thread to know exactly what you have.
    -- Guy --

12. Back To Top    #12

Techguy,

What information exactly should I add to my signature? I want it to be as helpful as possible. Also, I didn't mean to leave the impression that my nylon "fix" was what ultimately worked the best. The vacuum head can either be used with a garden hose that uses the bag, to which I added the nylons, or a vacuum hose can be attached to it and the filter. While the former worked, it was slow. Connecting it to the skimmer filter with the adapter, an no nylons, is what worked out the fastest and best. When I get home later I will post pictures of each.

13. Back To Top    #13

I understand about the nylons. Any tool to help. Sometimes they help, sometimes they hinder.

Is this the skimmer filter you have?

Signature idea: Summer Escapes 15' x 42" (4000 gal) AG steel framed vinyl pool with cartridge filter/skimmer 80 watt 2.2 amp 1075 GPH pump
    -- Guy --