Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool opening stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool opening stains

Hello all,

We bought a new house with a pool and have just started our first season with it. We had the pool company open it but we've been maintaining it since, for the past week and a half.

I've brushed and vacuumed many times but can get rid of multiple (probably a dozen) streaks and stains. I've even dived down with a hand brush and tried to scrape and brush them off.

Any tips to get the liner completely clean or do I just have to wait? Thanks in advance for any help.

Here are our stats:

72000 litres (16x32)
    Sand Filter

From most recent water sample:

Free chlorine 1.27
    Ph 7.8
    Hardness 125
    Alk 110
    Salt 3600
    In ground, 19K gallons, hayward sand filter, Zodiac DuoClear SWG, Vinyl liner, South of Toronto, Solar Blanket only

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina

Re: Pool opening stains

Welcome to the forum

You need to find if the stains are organic or metal.

Rub a trichlor tablet/puck on the stain. If it lightens, the stain is organic and raising the FC level will fade it over time.

Or, rub a cheap vitamin C tablet on the stain. If it lightens, the stain is metals. The process could be just crushing vitamin C in a sock and holding it on the stain for a minute or possibly doing a complete AA treatment.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Jenison, MI

Re: Pool opening stains

Make sure chemicals are balanced correctly also! I purchased my house recently and it looked like brown streaks on the wall when I opened, and for the majority of the first year I rented here due to lack of knowledge. Once I got everything in order the stains went away!
    Good luck!
    18k gal. 16x32 IG cement painted
    Hayward DE EC-65