pump has no suction

Feb 7, 2010
Hi,

I'm having a problem with the circulation in our pool. Last year at the end of the summer there was enough circulation to keep the chemicals up to proper levels, but there wasn't enough suction to vacuum the pool. There was a possibility that some small stones fell into the pipe with the strainer basket. I had a pool guy take a look. He blasted the line with another pool pump and changed the sand in the filter. The suction improved (for that day), but it still wasn't as good as before. Cost me $250. The next day when I tried to vacuum pool lost all circulation. My husband got a small snake at Lowes and snaked the line. Went back to being able to circulate the water but not enough to vacuum. Since it was almost the end of the year, we just closed the pool. Unfortunately, a lot of crud fell from the surrounding trees, leaving a mess in the pool and no way to clean it.

Time did not make the problem better. My husband snaked out the line and we actually could vacuum for a while. But this afternoon, there's no circulation. Anybody have any guesses about what the problem is? I'm so frustrated right now that I would just about rather cement the darn pool than try to clean it anymore. A lot of people are depending on me to get the pool clean since school is over Friday!

Thanks.
Chris

Well, that almost assures us that you have an almost total blockage somewhere between the skimmer and the pump (sounds like you already know that.

Is the underground portion of that pipe rigid PVC or is it flexible?

Since it has blocked more than once, I am thinking the pipe could be damaged. That's not very common with rigid so I would exhaust all other possibilities first.

Have you opened the pump basket and reached up inside to see if anything is clogging the impeller?

About 4 hours after I turned the pump off, my husband turned the pump on. The pump was fine, good circulation. Any ideas why it would start circulating water again when the only thing we did was let it rest for a few hours? I don't anticipate doing much tomorrow depending on what Andrea brings, but I really need to get the pool clean!

Thanks so much!!

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.