rock speaker recommendation

Oct 10, 2012
I'm finishing up my pool project and am researching sound and lighting. My listening area (including the pool itself) is about 40 x 60'. The OSD RS850 are $400/pr. I'm going to try plugging my Ipad into an old tunner/amplifier and then wiring to the speakers. Do the RS850's offer good sound for the $$, or are there other comparable speakers which offer better sound/$$?
I'm thinking these might be overkill for my small area and could do just fine with smaller ones. ??
Thanks,
Ken

I just finished installing my outdoor system and I am very happy! My listening area is slightly smaller (my pool is 20 X 40).

I used two of these on either side of the pool:
http://www.amazon.com/TIC-GS-3-150-Watt ... c+speakers

And a pair of these under the eves of the house:
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-AW150W- ... s_172563_8

One of these for each pair of speaker to adjust the volume so that I can turn down the deck speakers and turn up the pool speakers:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Deco ... /100602408

More details on my original post:
power-for-outdoor-speakers-t56588.html

360 degree speakers are quite inefficient if you don't need sound spread in all directions. I have a pair of RCF monitor 5s mounted under the eaves driven by Sherbourn 2/150, though I plan to add some rock speakers on the far end and near the rear deck when I re-landscape next fall. I actually cut bass via a low pass filter from my outdoor speakers so as to not bother the neighbors as much. Keep in mind that if you want even coverage at lower volumes more speakers spread out around the area will perform better so you may want to plan for 4 or 6 speakers to cover the entire area.

Currently while my RCF's are plenty loud to cover my ENTIRE backyard they are also loud enough at that volume to wake the neighborhood and uncomfortably loud to stand next to. If I turn them way down like I often do in the wee hours of the morning when I'm in the deep end treading water I have a hard time hearing the music b/c of the sheer distance to the speaker hence the plan to add rock speakers in the beds close to the deep end.

I use a sonos connect to drive the amp and an airport express to both feed outside sources to the sonos and extend wifi to the pool. All are controlled by an ipod touch that is waterproof(via lifeproof case) so it can be used while in the pool for control.

Thanks all for the input. Initially, I'm waiting for a jack to connect the ipad up to my old tuner/receiver in the family room which is adjacent to the patio and pool. If this works, I can run speaker wires from it outside to the patio/pool area for music in the short term.
After speaking with Denon, it appears audio equipment has evolved since I last purchased any equipment (25+ years ago). I can use wifi to stream music to my ipad, then use airplay to get it to the receiver/amp, then wire it to my outdoor speakers using Zone 2 or 3 assuming I'm using Zone 1 for my home theater. Only negative is any zone other than zone 1 can have max. of 2 speakers, or I use zone 2 and 3 for outdoors, or use the pre-amp connections to feed another amplifier to then feed the outdoor speakers.
I'm thinking I need to get some omni-directional speakers first to fill up the patio areas and see how that works.

I listened to the Insignia rock speakers at Best buy...they didn't sound good.
I then went to the Magnolia Dept. and heard the Definitive Aw6500... :goodjob: far superior, but at $280 a pcs. a little than I wanted to spend.
Turned to ebay where they are $130 shipped each for refurbs.,so I ordered 2 for now.
Next step is to pick out a new receiver with airplay, multizone, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers and 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers. The Boston Acoustics sound fuller and not so hollow. The TIC speakers are way cheaper and sound good just not as full. I lucked out and got the Boston Acoustics on Amazon for 75 dollars each. I had them shipped overnight and set them up. They sounded great so I went back to order more and they were over 215 for each speaker. If I would have known how good they sounded I would have ordered more when they were miss marked.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.