Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: rock speaker recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

rock speaker recommendation

I'm finishing up my pool project and am researching sound and lighting. My listening area (including the pool itself) is about 40 x 60'. The OSD RS850 are $400/pr. I'm going to try plugging my Ipad into an old tunner/amplifier and then wiring to the speakers. Do the RS850's offer good sound for the $$, or are there other comparable speakers which offer better sound/$$?
    I'm thinking these might be overkill for my small area and could do just fine with smaller ones. ??

2. Back To Top    #2
    Orange County, California

Re: rock speaker recommendation

There appears to be a lot of speakers out there that people like, so I'm sure you will get plenty of good suggestions. Personally, I'm quite happy with my Monoprice speakers, driven by an AudioSource Amp-100 connected to an old Ipod.
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

3. Back To Top    #3
    Fairfax, VA

I just finished installing my outdoor system and I am very happy! My listening area is slightly smaller (my pool is 20 X 40).

I used two of these on either side of the pool: ... c+speakers

And a pair of these under the eves of the house: ... s_172563_8

One of these for each pair of speaker to adjust the volume so that I can turn down the deck speakers and turn up the pool speakers: ... /100602408

More details on my original post:
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig Heater 336K BTU, TF-100 test kit.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

4. Back To Top    #4

I was going to suggest TIC speakers as well. I have TIC speakers under the eave and they are excellent for the $$
    14,000 gallon IG plaster pool, Cartridge Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I was told the 360 degree speakers don't give the base that a rock type speaker can offer. However I think it was OSD that said this, so they could be bias.

6. Back To Top    #6

Nashville, TN

360 degree speakers are quite inefficient if you don't need sound spread in all directions. I have a pair of RCF monitor 5s mounted under the eaves driven by Sherbourn 2/150, though I plan to add some rock speakers on the far end and near the rear deck when I re-landscape next fall. I actually cut bass via a low pass filter from my outdoor speakers so as to not bother the neighbors as much. Keep in mind that if you want even coverage at lower volumes more speakers spread out around the area will perform better so you may want to plan for 4 or 6 speakers to cover the entire area.

Currently while my RCF's are plenty loud to cover my ENTIRE backyard they are also loud enough at that volume to wake the neighborhood and uncomfortably loud to stand next to. If I turn them way down like I often do in the wee hours of the morning when I'm in the deep end treading water I have a hard time hearing the music b/c of the sheer distance to the speaker hence the plan to add rock speakers in the beds close to the deep end.

I use a sonos connect to drive the amp and an airport express to both feed outside sources to the sonos and extend wifi to the pool. All are controlled by an ipod touch that is waterproof(via lifeproof case) so it can be used while in the pool for control.

20k gallons, IG (Fiberglass), T-40 Sand Filter(38 GPM),Hayward Superpump w/1 HP motor, Solaxx Harmony (combo cleaner/SWG).

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks all for the input. Initially, I'm waiting for a jack to connect the ipad up to my old tuner/receiver in the family room which is adjacent to the patio and pool. If this works, I can run speaker wires from it outside to the patio/pool area for music in the short term.
    After speaking with Denon, it appears audio equipment has evolved since I last purchased any equipment (25+ years ago). I can use wifi to stream music to my ipad, then use airplay to get it to the receiver/amp, then wire it to my outdoor speakers using Zone 2 or 3 assuming I'm using Zone 1 for my home theater. Only negative is any zone other than zone 1 can have max. of 2 speakers, or I use zone 2 and 3 for outdoors, or use the pre-amp connections to feed another amplifier to then feed the outdoor speakers.
    I'm thinking I need to get some omni-directional speakers first to fill up the patio areas and see how that works.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Jacksonville, FL

Rock speakers from Best Buy
    See this thread
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

9. Back To Top    #9

I listened to the Insignia rock speakers at Best buy...they didn't sound good.
    I then went to the Magnolia Dept. and heard the Definitive Aw6500... far superior, but at $280 a pcs. a little than I wanted to spend.
    Turned to ebay where they are $130 shipped each for refurbs.,so I ordered 2 for now.
    Next step is to pick out a new receiver with airplay, multizone, etc.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a pair of these planter speakers, work well and most people don't know where the sound is coming from.

OSD Audio PS520 Terra Cotta Planter Omni Speakers, ... r+speakers

11. Back To Top    #11

Richmond, Texas

I have 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers and 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers. The Boston Acoustics sound fuller and not so hollow. The TIC speakers are way cheaper and sound good just not as full. I lucked out and got the Boston Acoustics on Amazon for 75 dollars each. I had them shipped overnight and set them up. They sounded great so I went back to order more and they were over 215 for each speaker. If I would have known how good they sounded I would have ordered more when they were miss marked.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

12. Back To Top    #12

definitive technology aw6500 great lows Wide sound stage must here them
    18 by 36 mountain lake, swg aqua plus, cartgidge filter, two speed tristar 1hp, 1hp super pump for deck jet n waterfall, espio alarm, aquabot jr, Definitive Tech Aw6500 speakers, Onkyo receiver

13. Back To Top    #13
    Fort Worth Texas

We use 4 of these , not bad for the money ..
    Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA