new intex pool owner

Jun 5, 2013
hi!
I have a 15x42in intex easy set pool. Filled it in a span of 3-4 days because i have a well. Did a test(HTH) today since its done filling and the levels were no
FC:0
PH: between 7.8 and 8.4
TA: 180

I have the HTH pop up pool start up and maintenance kit and want to know how to go about getting it swim ready.
To me since the water came from our hose it should be fine to go in just add chlorine?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

You can add chlorine up to about 2ppm and be fine to swim, but chlorine will be gone in a few hours due to the sun breaking it down. You need to get some stabilizer in the pool to protect the chlorine.

How are you intending to maintain chlorine in your pool? If you are unsure, I would greatly advise you to read Pool School (button at the upper right). Start with these:
pool-school/pool_water_chemistry
pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

I have chlorine 1" blocks and the kit came with granuels of chlorine so one of the two. The kit also came with a chlorine stabilizer too. Can u swim after u put the stabilizer in? Also u think that one of the 1" chlorines would do the trick?

hi the pool calculator doesnt seem to work for me. the numbers dont change even if i change the gallons :/ and its a pop up pool, which the post says you cant use the calculator for that kind. on a page where you can buy one it says it holds 3284 gallons

Where does it say you can not use the poolcalculator for a smaller pool? It works for any size pool.

Just put the volume at the top, your current levels down the left column and your desired targets in the right column.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Was there a question there?

I will add some for you:
What is the CC? What is the CYA?
What does the water look like?
What test kit are you using?
Why did you let the FC get to zero?

pool cal says add 3.7oz of the cal-Hypo 48% (the shock 'n swim)
I dont have anything to lower the PH
I have stabilizer and conditioner (CYA)

should i put the 3.7oz in first or the stabilizer and conditioner?

FC was always 0, Im using the hth 4 way test strips only tests FC,PH, and TA, and bromine . water looks fine just leaves floating ect.

Oh. Well why did you not say it was a fresh fill? ;)

First, realize that test strips are worthless. You would be much better off with the basic HTH 6-way kit you can find at Walmart (this is missing the FAS-DPD test, but your pool is small enough to just start over if things get out of whack).

Are you not planning to follow this method?
pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

You are going to need some muriatic acid (or pH-) to lower the pH into the 7s, but you may want to confirm with the drop based kit first.

If you are planning to add the CYA separately, then get that dissolving in the pool and get some FC in the pool ... you can do this now.

hehe :) yes that method sounds good since its a pop up pool.
can you put the cya and the fc in at the same time? bottles say not too. also the fc (shock and swim) says to do the PH stuff first. I would like to have something in the pool tonight to get it started then tomorrow run out get the test kit from walmart and the ph down

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.