new intex pool owner

yea it doesnt say it on it but i read the bottle says its not for disinfection or sanitization so its not up to par lol. I just mean im going to put the granules in one day ca i use the bleach the next day to raise FC or just stick to one or the other

And pH usually. The other things (TA, CH, CYA) should not change very quickly.

Since your pool is small, if thing get out of control, it is easiest to drain and start over.

Have you read this article:
pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

One thing I wanted to point out, and this is not our usual recommendation, would be to consider adding the polyquat 60 to your pool. This would be kind of like insurance against algae. The only reason I am pointing this out is that starting over would be problematic for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is it a clear green or a cloudy green? If clear it might be iron in the water in which case you may need a sequestrant. Others know much more about that than I, but well water often has iron. If cloudy green probably algea and you'll have to shock which is harder to do with the HTH 6 way test kit. It's doable but will usually take longer as you have no way of knowing when you've dropped below shock level. It's also almost impossible to do and overnight chlorine loss test. You could get the TF-50 which is a little cheaper than the TF-100, it doesn't have the PH test which you already have with the 6 way.

If it's not iron you could still do a water dump, scrub and refill. I know it takes you a while to refill, but if you keep some chlorine in while filling it probably won't turn green again. You have to be diligent in keeping chlorine in it. I have a good well and can run it 24/7 so my first summer with a pool (the old one in my sig) I dumped it about 3 times before I found this site. Once I did, I got a good pump as the original was bad, I got the HTH 6-way and I managed to keep a very clean pool the rest of the summer. I never had to shock, but I tested daily, trusted the pool calculator to hit my high target and when chlorine dropped into the readable level dosed back to the high target. With that experience we decided to move up in pool size and haven't regretted it. I've not tested my well water for iron but given my experience it must be low or non-existent. If you have iron it can show up as a clear green, sometimes only at high chlorine levels, you should be able to see the bottom with no problem just a green color.

I fill with well water and my water will typically be fairly yellow until I pour in chlorine then it will appear to be quite green if not greenish-brown. I think it looks more green as it fills because of the blue squares (I have an Intex 18' pool) and yellow + blue = green. Once I start to add chlorine it oxidizes the iron and turns i brownish. It kind of looks like pond water. It is really difficult to get the oxidized iron out with the filter/pump you get with the pool.

One way that I had success was to drop in a sump pump with just a 2-3 ft of water hose attached to it. I put pillow fill stuffed in a sock over the end of the hose which was attached with zip ties and it filtered out a bunch of it in a couple of days.

Last year I bought a sand filter and a larger pump that was used with a larger above ground pool and I can clear mine up in 24 hours or so.

The fact that you said it didn't turn green until you put in the chlorine leads me to believe that you have an iron problem primarily. If it didn't turn cloudy I would say that it is most likely your only problem, at least for right now.

A dump and re-fill won't solve it because you are just going to do the same thing over again.

I would buy test for the FC so you can rule that out.

A picture might help, but I'm leaning towards the iron in the water. If it's algae it means the pool isn't being sanitized and other stuff could be in there that's not good for you. I wouldn't swim in it, but to get in and scrub and check for slick spots probably wouldn't hurt as long as you don't ingest it. Slick areas would be a sure indication of algae. As I said before I don't have experience with iron so I'll let others help you with that if it is that.

It's metals, perfectly safe to swim in. Get some sequestrant to get your water back to blue. I used hth Metal Control from Walmart, and it took me from brownish green (but clear) to blue in about 6 hours. I had the same issue as you, changed colors right after adding bleach. Keep in mind, you will need to keep adding the maintenance dose as the sequestrant wears out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.