Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: new intex pool owner

new intex pool owner

hi!
    I have a 15x42in intex easy set pool. Filled it in a span of 3-4 days because i have a well. Did a test(HTH) today since its done filling and the levels were no
    FC:0
    PH: between 7.8 and 8.4
    TA: 180

I have the HTH pop up pool start up and maintenance kit and want to know how to go about getting it swim ready.
    To me since the water came from our hose it should be fine to go in just add chlorine?
    Intex 15x42, 3284 gallons, AG vinyl, krystal clear/1000 gal/hr/Model#637R/ just bought second hand.

Re: new intex pool owner

Welcome to TFP!!!

You can add chlorine up to about 2ppm and be fine to swim, but chlorine will be gone in a few hours due to the sun breaking it down. You need to get some stabilizer in the pool to protect the chlorine.

How are you intending to maintain chlorine in your pool? If you are unsure, I would greatly advise you to read Pool School (button at the upper right). Start with these:
    pool-school/pool_water_chemistry
    pool-school/types_chlorine_pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

I have chlorine 1" blocks and the kit came with granuels of chlorine so one of the two. The kit also came with a chlorine stabilizer too. Can u swim after u put the stabilizer in? Also u think that one of the 1" chlorines would do the trick?
    Intex 15x42, 3284 gallons, AG vinyl, krystal clear/1000 gal/hr/Model#637R/ just bought second hand.

Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

Use http://www.thepoolcalculator.com/ to figure how much of what to add. Put your size pool at the top, select TFP and vinyl near the bottom and it will calculate what and how much you need. There is also a place at the bottom that can tell you what effect adding a certain chemical will have.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

hi the pool calculator doesnt seem to work for me. the numbers dont change even if i change the gallons :/ and its a pop up pool, which the post says you cant use the calculator for that kind. on a page where you can buy one it says it holds 3284 gallons

Where does it say you can not use the poolcalculator for a smaller pool? It works for any size pool.

Just put the volume at the top, your current levels down the left column and your desired targets in the right column.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner

With the pop up pools it says level will be off?

Quote Originally Posted by thevamplestat25
    With the pop up pools it says level will be off?
    Please define "it". I can not find what you are talking about anywhere on the poolcalculator.com website.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Its the pool school link above

Oh. It just says that the pool volume calculator portion does not work well ... the chemical calculations will work fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Oooo ok I thought the chemicals went by volume

They do. But you input your pools volume at the top. It is the part that estimates the volume based on dimensions you input that will not work well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Ooo ok thanks will do the calculator tomorrow and if I have prob will post here. Thanks for the help so far

fc:0
    ph:8.4
    ta: 180

Was there a question there?

I will add some for you:
    What is the CC? What is the CYA?
    What does the water look like?
    What test kit are you using?
    Why did you let the FC get to zero?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

pool cal says add 3.7oz of the cal-Hypo 48% (the shock 'n swim)
    I dont have anything to lower the PH
    I have stabilizer and conditioner (CYA)

should i put the 3.7oz in first or the stabilizer and conditioner?

FC was always 0, Im using the hth 4 way test strips only tests FC,PH, and TA, and bromine . water looks fine just leaves floating ect.

i havnt put anything in the water yet so this is the test b4 adding stuff so i can use the pool cal to figure out what i need to put in.

Oh. Well why did you not say it was a fresh fill?

First, realize that test strips are worthless. You would be much better off with the basic HTH 6-way kit you can find at Walmart (this is missing the FAS-DPD test, but your pool is small enough to just start over if things get out of whack).

Are you not planning to follow this method?
    pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

You are going to need some muriatic acid (or pH-) to lower the pH into the 7s, but you may want to confirm with the drop based kit first.

If you are planning to add the CYA separately, then get that dissolving in the pool and get some FC in the pool ... you can do this now.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

hehe yes that method sounds good since its a pop up pool.
    can you put the cya and the fc in at the same time? bottles say not too. also the fc (shock and swim) says to do the PH stuff first. I would like to have something in the pool tonight to get it started then tomorrow run out get the test kit from walmart and the ph down