Pump losing, suction power.

Jun 4, 2013
Pocono's PA.
Hello everyone.

My name is Phil, and earlier this year I bought my first house complete with my first pool. I tried to get all the right information into my signature as per the rules, but even those simple questions are tough to answer.
I have ordered a proper test kit, but it wont be here for a few days, and although the pool isn't crystal clear (some green algae settles to the bottom, but seems to come right out with vacuuming, although my robotic cleaner seems to just spread it back into the water) managing the Chemicals is not the current issue.

The current issue I'm having is, trying to keep the pump running. Process I've been using;

1 Fill pump strainer housing with water
First issue is all the water I put into the pump seem to drain right back into the pool it fills up enough to cover the suction pipe that leads to the filter, but not all the way.
2 Put lid back on strainer
3 Open air relief valve on the filter
4 Manually turn on filter
5 After water is coming out of the relief valve close it.

At this point the pump will start out strong, but over a period of time, sometimes 10 minutes sometimes an hour, the pump will come to a crawl, there will be very little water coming into the strainer housing, and that of course leads to very little going back into the pool. The pressure in the filter remains constant between 18 and 20. There is a skimmer basket and a another opening that goes to the filter right above one another and the return line is on the other side.

Also note, there are no ball valves, or stopcocks on any of the plumbing by the filter with the exception of a ball valve to drain the filter.

I have taken apart the filter, and cleaned the fingers, and changed out the DE. with no changes. I have been fighting with this pump trying to get it going for a handful of days.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Picture of pool included, and can also take a picture of the filter/pump set up if it would be helpful.

Thanks again.

A picture of the equipment would help.

You are getting air in the pump basket?
Check, clean and lube the pump basket o-ring.
Check the skimmer to see if it's creating a vortex sucking in air.
Check the weir to see if it's working freely and correctly.
Check the pump drain plugs and reseal them.

Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?

Bama Rambler said:
A picture of the equipment would help.
Will snag one and get it on here
You are getting air in the pump basket?
i can't seem to get air out of the pump basket, even when i fill it using a 5 gallon bucket, it wont stay full to the top no matter how quickly I can close it and hit the start button
Check, clean and lube the pump basket o-ring.
The o ring is in great shape, no cracks, and well lubed
Check the skimmer to see if it's creating a vortex sucking in air.
When I first turn on the pump and its working well it does, as the water going into the pump lessens so does the suction
Check the weir to see if it's working freely and correctly.
No idea what a weir is I will google lol
Check the pump drain plugs and reseal them.
Just replaced the plugs on opening day, will readjust them although not showing any signs of a leak

Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?
yes it goes to zero when the pump is off.

Thanks.

Tskstorm said:
i can't seem to get air out of the pump basket, even when i fill it using a 5 gallon bucket, it wont stay full to the top no matter how quickly I can close it and hit the start button
That's normal, but once you get the pump primed and runnig correctly it will empty the basket of air and it will be full of water.

Tskstorm said:
When I first turn on the pump and its working well it does, as the water going into the pump lessens so does the suction
If it's creating a vortex then there's at least part of your problem. It should not suck in air when the pump is running.

Tskstorm said:
The weir is the flapper door in the mouth of the skimmer. It, along with the skimmer basket, helps keep the skimmer from forming a vortex and sucking in air.

How high is the water level in the pool? I'd raise it almost to the top if the skimmer opening and see if that helped.

Bama Rambler said:
Tskstorm said:
That's normal, but once you get the pump primed and runnig correctly it will empty the basket of air and it will be full of water.

Tskstorm said:
If it's creating a vortex then there's at least part of your problem. It should not suck in air when the pump is running.

Tskstorm said:
The weir is the flapper door in the mouth of the skimmer. It, along with the skimmer basket, helps keep the skimmer from forming a vortex and sucking in air.

How high is the water level in the pool? I'd raise it almost to the top if the skimmer opening and see if that helped.

I found a universal skimmer weir in the garage, and pushed it into the skimmer, seems to always stay in the open position right now (where the water is basically flowing over the weir and straight into the pump.

The water level was at the top of the skimmer, but on a neighbor's advise I had about 3 inches removed, he said it was too high, currently its about half way up the skimmer box. Will fill it up now. Pictures of the pump/filter will be up in a moment.

The water on the pump cover is from water shooting out the air relief valve when I turned it on before taking pictures.

Also my skimmer does not have a cover. Could that have anything to do with it ?

Piecing together someone else's mess with little knowledge, stinks!

When the pump is on, the weir will stay open ... this allows the water to be pulled from the surface and prevents the dirt from flowing back out.
The skimmer cover has no effect on the water movement.

Do you see a large vortex in the skimmer still?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
When you say little suction/return are you seeing a buildup of air in the pump?

When is the last time you cleaned the filter? What is your clean filter pressure?

The entire filter was rebuilt and installed on Memorial day, since then I have cleaned it nearly everyday and am cleaning out a significant amount of algae.

I'm not sure what the clean filter pressure is, from what I can remember it went straight to 17/18 after I cleaned it last.

Yes a buildup is occurring. When starting the pump, I am able to get the air out with the relief valve, and get a good flow going. After a few minutes the air gets back in there.

Bama Rambler said:
You have more air leaks to find. It will be on the suction side of the pump somewhere. Check the skimmer again to see if it creates a vortex after a few minutes.

I don't see a vortex any longer. Any other suggestions where to look for leaks? How would one check for leaks in the underground plumbing thats the only place I can think of I haven't checked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.