Pump or motor not working

luria8

May 20, 2013
Lancaster, TX
Hello all,

I currently own a pool and decided to do maintenance myself. Ive been doing a good job so far. But last night the pump or motor stop working. I am not sure if it is the pump or motor that stop working... I know its 2 different things. But here is my situation. ..

When I turn on the pump... i just here a humming noise as if the pump wants to turn on. But there is no water in the pump basket (not sure what is is called). Also the pressure to the D.E. filter reads 0. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be? I know replacing the pump is expensive and I dont want to go that route. Could it be clogged or something?

Welcome to TFP!

There's a good chance that the capacitor has failed. They are common failures, but cheap to replace.

What model pump do you have?

I know it is a hayward pump not sure what the model is. I can post picture once I get home.
If in my case the capacitor does needs to be replaced can I buy that at leslies pools or crown pools here in our local pool stores (Lancaster, Texas)? Or buy online? What website?
Also, if my pool is overflowed would that be a reason for the pump to shut off?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are 2 pictures above one is your multi port valve, the other is a close up of the label on the pump motor. The pump is the rest of the thing around that label, as it is this is a bit like trying to identify a brand and model of car by a closeup shot of the license plate without having access to the DMV records.

For those who were helping me... I ordered the capacitor from a local seller here in my area. My husband will be installing it today after work. I really hope this works. Sorry I didnt post a picture of the pump, but is was raining in the morning so I wasnt able to go outside. I will keep you all posted of the outcome.

Thanks a bunch!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.