Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gas supply to heater too rich

1. Back To Top    #1

Gas supply to heater too rich

Hi all,

I have a newly installed Pentair Mastertemp 300 that has a high pitch whistle intermittently. I understand that this is an indication that the flame is too rich.

After the heater was installed, the gas company installed a larger meter feeding the house...went from a 200k btu meter to a 425k btu meter.

Can anyone give me some insight as to how to test the supply line gas pressure with a manometer? Is there a test port in the Mastertemp? Also, does anyone know the recommended W.C. reading for a natural gas 300k btu Mastertemp?

Thank you in advance for your help!!

-David
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Gas supply to heater too rich

If this unit is NEW, it's under warranty and I would call out a Pentair warranty repair company. Messing with the unit you risk voiding your warranty. You have at least a two year warranty on this unit, why risk it.

The high pitched sound means the unit is drawing in too much air causing the whistling sound.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

The manual for the heater should have the specifications for gas flow and pressure in it. I doubt that the meter change increased the pressure enough to cause a significant richening of the air fuel mixture. Going to a bigger flow rate does not change pressure, and gas companies are pretty anal about their meters and regulators being in proper calibration
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

It tested just under 10 w.c., so I should be OK. A tech at pentair said I need to be at 12 or under. If I notice the whistling again, I will have pentair come out to check it out.

Thanks!

-David
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Did the gas man use flex line going into the heater? I've seen it before, the line installer hard pipes it from the meter/regulator and stops about 2' short of the heater and reduces the line down with the yellow flex line bottlenecking the supply. It should always be hard piped with a union outside the heater.
    Hot Springs certified service tech A
    APSP CST Certified
    CPO Certified

6. Back To Top    #6

No, it is hard piped all the way to the heater - no flex. I am going to call Pentair to come out and address the whistling and occasional CHECK HEATER light. It's under warranty - might as well let them deal with it!

I will let you know what I find.

Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Was that 10" water column while the heater was running? Or at rest? The critical measurement is while running. Water column spec should be on sticker attached to metal box that elec connection is made to. Whistle is from pressure, not mix. New meter has new regulator. It doesn't happen often, but not impossible for regulator to be out of calibration.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.