Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In line check valve?

1. Back To Top    #1

In line check valve?

Can someone tell me what an in-line check valve does and is it absolutely necessary to have one? I have one now in between my heater and my salt water chlorinator. I am in the process of installing a new saltwater chlorinator and my old check valve cannot be reused because the couplings are too close to the check valve.

Thanks
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: In line check valve?

They prevent backflow, most importantly they prevent water flushing back through your filter depositing junk in the pump. If it is needed depends on a number of factors mostly relating to the height of the water relative to the equipment, for example if your pad is below the surface level of your pool you certainly need one.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Most mfg's suggest installing a check valve between the swg and the heater or filter to keep any gases from backing up into the equipment. The actual need for it depends on the individual plumbing arrangement.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    They prevent backflow, most importantly they prevent water flushing back through your filter depositing junk in the pump. If it is needed depends on a number of factors mostly relating to the height of the water relative to the equipment, for example if your pad is below the surface level of your pool you certainly need one.
    Is this true if you are using a regular hayward sand filter?

I am in the middle of re-plumbing my pool, and the new equipment pad is now about 16" lower than the pool water surface, and I was not planning on a check valve. When opening the pump lid, I planned to first shut the jandy valve that I am installing on the return line.

By your recommendation however, it sounds like you are saying that I should install a check valve on the return line - is that correct?

Great forum by the way. Lots of info here.

5. Back To Top    #5

You should if for no other reason than pump strainer baskets are a common source of leaks, and you probably don't want to come home one day to find hundreds or perhaps thousands of gallons of water has drained out through yours.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay I shall put one in then.

Your response begs the question though: would not that same thing occur through the suction lines anyway, on which a check valve against flow towards the pump cannot be installed?

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, it could, but would partly depend on your plumbing setup, if you have a skimmer only or main drain plumbed through the skimmer as a vacuum break then it would stop loosing water when the skimmer ran dry, instead of the height / depth of the return fittings or ground level which ever is higher.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks guys.