Need advice for buying a home with pool unused four years

Jun 5, 2013
We are considering making an offer on a home that has a small heated pool. The house was foreclosed on and the previous owners are not around. We were told the pool has not been opened for 4 years and the sellers think the pump was bad but the previous owners couldn't afford to repair. My concerns are the unknown costs in addition to the pump that would be needed to get the pool in good shape. The pool is nearly full of water and it has a mesh type cover stretched tight across the pool. I am concerned about 1) liner 2)cracked pipes from freeze if not winterized 3) heater issues

I was told by a local pool company that you can't inspect the mechanics without basically opening it up to see if everything operates. Is this the case or is it possible to do an inspection prior to purchase that would identify any issues? If we can't get a good estimate on costs, then does anyone have experience with adding contingency to the sale agreement whereby the seller agrees to compensate for unknown issues (either in full of splitting the costs). I appreciate any and all advice.

Re: Need advice for buying a home with pool unused four year

Welcome! :wave:

I have no firsthand experience with a stagnant wreck. But others have.
I'd try using the search box using foreclosure if I was you. "Short sale" might also generate some hits. Look for threads with
icon_topic_attach.gif
because it means they have pictures.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.