I recalculated my pool volume the right way. Wow!

samt

May 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Well being a surveyor for 35 yrs I just had to know the true volume vs. the Internet's pool volume calculators.

I ended up with 10 different sections that I broke out including the steps and there volume.

Did the calcs and ended up with 2,000 gal less then pool calculators estimate.

I also wonder if these pool calculators just assumed you have vertical walls or do they take in account that most pool walls slope. Now I Know.

Some pools like round above ground are fine. But if you have a ig pool with sloping sides no way can you get the correct volume with 4 measurements.

samt said:
I also wonder if these pool calculators just assumed you have vertical walls or do they take in account that most pool walls slope. Now I Know.

Some pools like round above ground are fine. But if you have a ig pool with sloping sides no way can you get the correct volume with 4 measurements.
It's definitely a "guesstimate" with the Pool Calc's. Actually, it's always a guesstimate, but your method seems more accurate. I was lucky enough to record my water meter readings before and after fill minus about 200 gallons of household use; but still it's estimated :goodjob:

samt said:
Well being a surveyor for 35 yrs I just had to know the true volume vs. the Internet's pool volume calculators.

I ended up with 10 different sections that I broke out including the steps and there volume.

You can fine tune it even more if you pay close attention to the pool calculator.

Say the pH is high. You calculate the amount to add. Down below, enter it into the effects section. It will tell you how much the TA should be affected. The next time you test, you see pH might not have dropped enough and TA reads the same. That means you added too little acid, so you increase the volume 1000 gallons. Next time around, maybe you're on the nose and TA has dropped as much as it should have with the two doses. Or not, in which case you adjust the gallonage up or down a little. In a couple weeks, you'll stumble on the right number so all the calculations match what really happens.

Richard320 said:
Say the pH is high. You calculate the amount to add. Down below, enter it into the effects section. It will tell you how much the TA should be affected. The next time you test, you see pH might not have dropped enough and TA reads the same. That means you added too little acid, so you increase the volume 1000 gallons. Next time around, maybe you're on the nose and TA has dropped as much as it should have with the two doses. Or not, in which case you adjust the gallonage up or down a little. In a couple weeks, you'll stumble on the right number so all the calculations match what really happens.
also a good estimate :-D

Richard320 said:
samt said:

You can fine tune it even more if you pay close attention to the pool calculator.

Exactly, it ends up being a percentage calculation you end up applying to fine tune your dosage.

samt said:

I also wonder if these pool calculators just assumed you have vertical walls or do they take in account that most pool walls slope.

That was what i did for my pool, works well and i know i'm close because the PoolCalculator is very accurate for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.