intex 16' x 32' pool Need idea's to protect outside of pool

Jun 5, 2013
I just got a intex 16' X 32' ultra frame rectangular pool. I live in the woods. I'm worried about the liner getting damaged from the outside from animals. Anyone come up with a way the line the outside with steel or something?

Re: intex 16' x 32' pool Need idea's to protect outside of p

I'd like to figure out something that would be pretty much right up against the liner. because even with a fence you could still get a animal trapped.

Lowes and Home Depot sell bamboo fencing, which I have used in the past and will place around my pool again. What I have done recently is purchase insulation to go around the outside of my pool and once I get that situated properly, I will then put the bamboo up.

What animals are you concerned about?

flagvan2000 said:
I'm not completely sure. I see raccoons, squirrels and deer.

I get raccoons and squirrels and for the most part, they don't seem too interested in the pool. The worst that has ever happened is a squirrel fell from the fence into the pool and drowned. I found him floating with bulging eyes before the kids came out. Lucky me:) I have read that they make motion activated sprinklers that are used to keep animals out of gardens. Perhaps, that is a consideration.

I do have the 14x48 and it is my 4th Intex pool in about 7 months. The three previous pools were a learning project because I did not do any research prior to purchasing them.

The only hints that I can offer are, get the ground as level as you possibly can, trash the existing pump/filter and go with the sand version. If you can afford the Saltwater Generator, get one it will save you a lot of time. Keep animals and debris out by purchasing a solar cover, which will also help keep the water warm and reduce evaporation. I love the insulation that I put around the outside of the pool because it helps to reduce heat loss from the sidewalls overnight. Cost me about 45 bucks for a roll and a few bucks for spray adhesive to attach it. I could not find much on the forum or internet about insulating an AGP but I decided to just take the change. It has been up for a few weeks now. Also, I hated the word Intex on the side of the pool so I purchased the bamboo fence to cover it and it lasted for a summer but, I live in Florida and the sun reduces the lifespan of everything it touches. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any specific questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Just a question here, what animals are likely to gnaw on a hard PVC bag full of water? I don't have these issues, trying to learn here.

I used stryofoam between the poles(legs) on my 12' round intex. Then cut and attached luan wood to the legs with a couple of holes in the wood and zip tied them. Works great for the opossum and raccoons. Just have to figure out a cover that will hold up to them. They've ripped the normal covers. I have pics if anyone wants them. I don't think I can post them here using an iPad. This is my first time using this.

We've had multiple racoons stop by for a drink without any trouble. They grab the strap that holds the legs and climb right up. We've had the pool for a couple of years and haven't had any animal damage yet.
One night I was walking by the sliding glass door and saw the motion light was on and looked at the pool. The top of the frame moved enough for me to notice, without my glasses on(without them I can't even see well enough to shave). I went and grabbed my specs and peered out. The bear on the other side of the pool had her front paws on the frame and was getting her fill. The frame shook quite a bit, but the pool held up just fine. I'm not sure how much she weighed, but I'm glad she didn't try to hop in. When she put her feet back on the ground her back was a good six inches higher than the 48" frame. I did wonder what would have happened if her claws caught the pool, but we see her so infrequently I hadn't given it a second thought.
Until now that is!
Some pics sure would be appreciated of some of y'all's solutions.

Amyl21 said:
I used stryofoam between the poles(legs) on my 12' round intex. Then cut and attached luan wood to the legs with a couple of holes in the wood and zip tied them. Works great for the opossum and raccoons. Just have to figure out a cover that will hold up to them. They've ripped the normal covers. I have pics if anyone wants them. I don't think I can post them here using an iPad. This is my first time using this.

I would like to see it! I'm looking for something to make a panel around the pool with. Cats are my problem. I know cats don't like water but I fear the cats and I will be both be sad :twisted:... The wet cat sad from the surprise tsunami and the humans sad because they are dry on a hot summer day!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.