VGB Drain Cover Question

May 14, 2013
Hey guys,

As you know I am a new pool owner. How can I tell if I have a VGB compliant main drain cover installed or not? Obviously I know that a small drain like one in your shower is not VGB compliant, but I do have a plastic raised drain cover. Are these all VGB compliant or is there something specific to look for?

Thanks for all the help on these boards. I am having a great 1st pool season so far! (except it has been too cool to swim!)

Oh, well that is trouble. I'll have to swim down there and take a look, but my guess then is that it isn't one. Are they hard to install as a DIY, or is this something I should be able to handle? I certainly don't want to pay the pool company for SCUBA time if I don't have to. Reason I am concerned is I have a daughter and soon she and her friends will be all over this pool!

VGB compliance has two parts for a suction outlet compliance. First is that the cover must conform to ANSI 112, which has been a federal law since 2008, as Jason Lion stated - so you can not buy a non-compliant cover in the US since 2008. So you should be good there. The other part is that there should be a sump (depression) under the cover equal to 1-1/2 times the pipe diameter, which would be 3" deep for a 2" pipe. Alternately, "sumpless" covers are available now that can be mounted on a flat wall or floor surface. They protrude a little more than the ones with a sump underneath, but they are fully compliant.

I forgot to mention in the previous post to check the rated flow stamped on the cover to be sure you do not exceed the cover rating.

There are usually three to four screws that hold the cover in place (on a round cover). If you use the same brand to replace your old cover, the screw pattern is the same on the VGB cover and it is a simple remove and replace with a screwdriver. If you change brands,I am not sure if this holds true or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.