Help with getting started

Jun 5, 2013
Hi I am new here and really enjoy reading this site with the wealth of knowledge. I am a new pool owner and want to keep my pool safe for the kids. I have a 14ftx4ft deep Intex above ground with the 1,000 gallon pump that it came with. I have started using bleach as my source of chlorine. I opted to buy the poolmaster 5 way test kit before finding this site and I am not ready to fork out $60 for the better kit, hoping that I can get by for now...

This morning I found that my levels are a bit off and before I get too far off base, I would like to hear your suggestions.

Poolmaster Basic 5 Test Kit-
FC- ~2ppm
PH- ~6.8
TA- ~60

Walmart Strips-
FC- 0ppm
PH- 6.8
TA- 40
TH- 100
CYA- 30-50

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to mastering the art of pool chemistry with your help.

Welcome to TFP.

The problem with that kit is that is doesn't test the important stuff.

I recommend you get the TF-50 from www.tftestkits.net or the HTH 6-way kit. The TF-50 is a better deal, but the 6-way kit may be a little cheaper in the beginning.

Once you have that you can test and post the results and we can get you started.

In the mean time, you want to raise the ph to about 7.5 with borax and raise the FC to about 5 ppm with bleach.

I've read a lot about the Taylor K-2006 test kit, would that be wise to purchase that one instead of the TF-50? Or the TF-100 seems to have more quantity, therefore being a better long-term solution. The taylor seems attractive because I can get it quickly through amazon...

Danspool said:
The taylor seems attractive because I can get it quickly through amazon...
Can't guarantee anything, but I recall last year I ordered the TF-100 before leaving work and by the time I got home (half hour drive) I had an email saying "thanks for the order" and another email saying, "your kit is shipped." I think I received it in 2 days. It came VERY fast. I don't think you'd go wrong with getting the TF-50/100 kit with regards to it arriving quickly.

Where are you located?

The TF-100 is without a doubt the best bang for your buck, and the customer service is second to none. Having ssaid that, the K-2006 is a good kit it just doesn't have the amount of the reagents that you regularly use like the TF kits do.

Danspool said:
I've read a lot about the Taylor K-2006 test kit, would that be wise to purchase that one instead of the TF-50? Or the TF-100 seems to have more quantity, therefore being a better long-term solution. The taylor seems attractive because I can get it quickly through amazon...
Same reagents, different sizes. TF100 is a better deal. Fast shipping.

I'm in MA, I think the TF100 is the way to go then. I'd rather get more bang for my buck. I did read their home page and it sounds like the shipping is pretty fast. Hopefully I will have it by the weekend and I can post my results and get going.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Ok so my TF-100 finally came and I just finished testing. The CYA was hard to trust as the black dot never fully disappeared, but regardless all test results are below.

Cl 2
PH 7.2
FC 3ppm
CC 0
TA 80
CH 60
CYA 0-20???

We've had a bunch of rain and there is more on the way, but if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Danspool said:
Ok so my TF-100 finally came and I just finished testing. The CYA was hard to trust as the black dot never fully disappeared, but regardless all test results are below.

Cl 2
PH 7.2
FC 3ppm
CC 0
TA 80
CH 60
CYA 0-20???

We've had a bunch of rain and there is more on the way, but if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.
Let's see....first, change your signatuire since you aren't using that kit anymore.

You need CYA. You'll also need more bleach, because with low CYA, it won't last long and with it, you need to maintain higher FC.

pH might need tweaking - your call.

Also note the difference between the color block test of 2 and the FAS-DPD test of 3.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to both of you. The water looks pretty good actually, but it's only been a month since I filled it. I've had the stabilizer in a sock in the over the wall skimmer for a while and it doesn't seem to be totally dissolving, should I use something other than a sock? I understand the importance of FC, but what impact does having no CC have?

So, when I get the CYA to 30-50 what level of FC should I maintain?

Alright, I think that I could go on and on, so I need to revisit the pool school again and save your time. Now that I have the proper tests this should all be more clear. Thanks again, I am so glad a place like this exists on the internet!

Squeeze the sock whenever you walk by it and it'll dissolve much faster.

When you get the CYA dissolved you can either use the pool calc's recommended level or the chlorine/CYA chart to determine what FC to maintain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.