Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Combined Chlorine Test

1. Back To Top    #1

Combined Chlorine Test

I have a question on the CC test.

If my pool water looks crystal clear, and all other tests (FC, pH, TA, CH, CYA) are within recommended/normal limits - is there still a need for a CC test?? What more would it tell me if anything??

FYI - I am using bleach for my chlorine.
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Combined Chlorine Test

Yes it can happen. While it is fairly unusual, it is possible to get CC above 0.5 for a variety of obscure reasons that would require shocking.

What many people do is a simple quick check to see if FC is anywhere near where it should be six days a week, and only check CC once a week.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!!! Very helpful.

Would also be able to test TA, CH and CYA once a week as well? I am running lots of tests every day and I think I am doing them too often. I have already used one bottle of CYA reagent and I just opened the pool on Memorial Day!!
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs
    Thanks!!! Very helpful.

Would also be able to test TA, CH and CYA once a week as well? I am running lots of tests every day and I think I am doing them too often. I have already used one bottle of CYA reagent and I just opened the pool on Memorial Day!!
    Absolutely you can do the TA and CH once a week or possibly less if you find they stay stable .... the CYA is test is only needed a couple of times a season as it doesn't go away.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner