CYA Sock

Jun 1, 2013
Kernersville, NC
this might sound like a question with an obvious answer, but it's still one that we're not sure about.......

it seems like the best way to add CYA is to use the "Sock" method, the question is..... is this simply putting CYA in a regular "people" sock that you put on your feet and putting that in the skimmer, or is there some other "thing" called a sock that we should have for doing this?

Also, we're in the middle of the Shock Process and I'm quite certain that our filter needs to be cleaned, since we did add CYA directly into the skimmer 2 days ago, no sock, I'm thinking to just clean the filter and add more CYA this time using the Sock. (the reason here is that I'm thinking that there is probably a lot of the CYA still on the filter cartridge and when we clean it that will all be gone, before it has had the needed 5-6 days to get into solution.)

thanks.

Yes, an ordinary "people" sock or stocking.

When you have to backwash the filter, hanging the sock in front of a return jet is your best approach. That way none of the CYA will be lost when you backwash.

Perhaps when you open up the cartridge filter you can use a hose to squirt any CYA off of the cartridges and let it stay in the bottom of the filter canister, thus "saving" it? Then remove cartridges and clean them like normal?

IDK i don't have a cartridge filter....

thanks.... I'll see if I can find any of my socks that our little Pit Bully hasn't make into a toy and use that.

Putting it in-front of the return jet will be a challenge as we have that "in the floor" return system.... so not sure how to get the same result with this type of system.

And I will consider the rinsing of the cartridge before giving it a good washing... interesting suggestion... just have to see what it looks like once we get it open.

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciate the help...

And thanks to all at this site..... our pool is still in the process of getting "crystal clear" but for the first time since we've owned it, we finally feel like we're in the process of gaining the knowledge we need to do a good job of maintaining it..... before it was just a bunch of guess work and trusting in others to tell us what to do.... now it feels like we're in control of our Pool Destiny :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.