Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to fix this leaky pipe?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to fix this leaky pipe?

Yesterday I replace my pump. All seemed to go well until I noticed water pooling at the bottom of it.

Turns out the culprit is where the water leaves the pump to go to the filter. Where the PVC pipe screws into the pump, it's leaking.

I wrapped the threads in plumbers tape and tightened is much as I could, but it's definitely leaking.

Is there a way to fix that without having to saw off the PVC above it? I can't tighten anymore since it's sealed to the pipe above it.

And if I do have to replace it...how can I prevent it from leaking on the next one?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    22,000 gallon vinyl in ground with Hayward S244T sand filter and Hayward 3/4 hp Super Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to fix this leaky pipe?

IMHO, a cut is required. You need to get that threaded joint tight enough to not leak. You could add a union to the pipe to allow you thread this pipe and make adjustments to it. A union would also allow you to remove the pump assembly in case you to have it serviced later.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I had the same problem when I had to replace some pipe. I could not get the connection tight enough with plumbers tape and some folks on here recommended thread sealant. That worked and it now does not leak. Some precautions I took were 1) make sure there was no debris in the threads like old melted teflon tape 2) cleaned pump threads with solvent. You can use any thread sealant they sell at the hardware store that is intended for PVC. Good luck, frustrating as heck. And I concur, you are going to have to cut.
    Walnut Creek, CA. 18k gallon Pebble Sheen + 1.5k gallon IG spa, 1.5hp whisperflo main pump, Pentair clean and clear 420, Intellichlor IC20, Polaris 360 w/booster,Jandy lite 2 natural gas, plus solar with Heliomatic 5000 controller and 3/4 hp booster

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by btolley
    I had the same problem when I had to replace some pipe. I could not get the connection tight enough with plumbers tape and some folks on here recommended thread sealant. That worked and it now does not leak. Some precautions I took were 1) make sure there was no debris in the threads like old melted teflon tape 2) cleaned pump threads with solvent. You can use any thread sealant they sell at the hardware store that is intended for PVC. Good luck, frustrating as heck. And I concur, you are going to have to cut.
    If I use a sealant...won't that mean it's permanently threaded into the pump?
    22,000 gallon vinyl in ground with Hayward S244T sand filter and Hayward 3/4 hp Super Pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

I normally use teflon tape but just read that "Teflon pipe sealant" can work better, especially on fittings larger than 1 inch.

Be sure to get on designed for use on PVC. Some sealants will degrade the pipe. I would not want to "glue" the threads permanently. If it were to leak, you would be really stuck.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

That looks like a Hayward Super Pump, and I think that fitting on the pump is a straight pipe thread fitting designed to seal against an O-ring not a common tapered pipe connection.

Ike

p.s. I may be wrong on that, the hayward manual says to use teflon tape, I looked at my old Super Pump in the parts pile and it has a rubber gasket / O-ring at the bottom of that opening.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Pipe dope aka liquid Teflon tape doesn't create a glued seal, so it ( the fitting) can be removed in the future.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

8. Back To Top    #8

In construction of a plethora of water and vapor systems I can tell you! ALWAYS USE PIPE TAPE AND A PIPE DOPE! No exceptions! It's cheap, it's easy, and it works. Only thing to remember is the cure time on the pipe dope, respect the recommendation and double it if concerned about your connection. That's for threaded connections anyway..... Glueing? Always use primer, feel free to rough up the pipe a touch and use plenty of glue! If you don't want to see the glue then use the clear stuff, just make sure you use enough and buy the clear primer to soak a rag in to wipe off excess glue so it will look truly professional... BP, Chevron and conico always loved my primer and glue free joints, THAT NEVER LEAKED!
    Patton B.

30K in ground pool, 1500 gallon in ground spa. Jandy aqua link 10 controller (1994 construction). Getting ready to replumb all surface pipe as well as replace heater and motors.

9. Back To Top    #9

As you wrap the tape on from the front of the thread to the back of course, keep winding at the shoulder end to make in fact a grommet or washer then when you screw the fitting into the thread it makes a good seal , so use the tape wrap more on at the fittings shoulder until it makes a Teflon washer in fact plumbers do that all the time .