Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can you check out my roofs for solar?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can you check out my roofs for solar?

After receiving crazy price quotes from a couple companies, I am thinking of getting my roofing buddies over.
    I would like to use 12' panels so we can work from the roof for the deck.
    Then put a couple panels on that roof.

I was told that having them on both roof would not be a problem. Is there couplers to join them from roof to roof
    or whould I use something like tigerflex?

The other opion would be using 3- 4x20's, but I am not keen on being out past the deck roof installing them.
    I plan on using 5-4x12's. The roof over the deck is 14.5 wide by 12.5 long.

My pool is 16x32 the roof is south facing sun all day. I am ready to pull the trigger and buy the panels I just
    want to make sure I can connect from roof to roof. Any thoughts on this plan?

Thanks in advance. I am not cheap but I can't see paying a company $3500 to $4500 for this job
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16x32 inground vinyl 8' deep end
    1hp Northstar Pump, 20" Sand Filter
    6ft Double Lounge, 2 Aqua Lamps w/remote
    216sqft Sungrabber Panels (9- 2'x12') a little undersized

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    The key to installing panels on a roof is to avoid creating any leaks in the roof. If you feel you and your roofing buddies are up to that task then you can save a tremendous amount of money doing it yourself.

The panels can be plumbed together with either rigid or flexible PVC.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School