Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: moving pumping station

1. Back To Top    #1

moving pumping station

Hi gang,
    Haven't checked in for quite a while. I have just about completed a new screened porch and it's a tad
    smaller than the old deck. And it has left my pumping station out in the elements (I hope nothing has
    been damaged). I would like to move the whole rig about five feet so that it is on a concrete pad (instead
    of where it was originally placed: in the dirt or maybe on a 2x4.
    I'm not afraid of this job, but would love to hear any advice anybody has to offer.

A little background: I'll save you the background. I just typed it, read it, and deleted it.
    This will be our fourth summer in this house with the pool and we have used the pool for
    about a month and a half.

Additional questions (if anyone would care to chime in):
    1. My pumps are likely pretty old. I know that some of the o-rings are bad and the shaft
    seals (I broke the new one trying to bang it into place with a sledge hammer). I have the kits,
    but I wonder if I would be better off replacing them than spending the time to install the go kits.

2. One skimmer doesn't work. I would like for it to work (lots o trees). Is it pretty likely that
    I will have to cut a hole in the concrete pool deck? I tried to run a snake through, but it
    wouldn't go very far. Any thoughts on this one?

3. The pool cover is kickin' my butt? I'm about ready to take it off, but I have no idea the best
    way to tighten those spring coils. I loosened a couple to get them to connect and now, of course,
    the top is a little saggy. It suddenly occurs to me that there is probably a tool that I am missing
    that makes this process easier.

Anybody live near Falls Church, VA and wanna come take a look?
    Thanks for listening to my late night ramblings. Mule
    Dark plaster in-ground, 25K gallons, Triton II sand fliter, Teledyne Laars Series 2 ESG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner,
    Circupool RJ45 SWCG, one skimmer doesn't work (any suggestions for snaking this or determining why it doesn't
    work?), using 12mil bubble wrap solar cover, Marquis 660 hot tub using liquid bleach.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: moving pumping station

A picture of your current equipment would be helpful.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mule
    Hi gang,
    Haven't checked in for quite a while. I have just about completed a new screened porch and it's a tad
    smaller than the old deck. And it has left my pumping station out in the elements (I hope nothing has
    been damaged). I would like to move the whole rig about five feet so that it is on a concrete pad (instead
    of where it was originally placed: in the dirt or maybe on a 2x4.
    I'm not afraid of this job, but would love to hear any advice anybody has to offer.

A little background: I'll save you the background. I just typed it, read it, and deleted it.
    This will be our fourth summer in this house with the pool and we have used the pool for
    about a month and a half.

Additional questions (if anyone would care to chime in):
    1. My pumps are likely pretty old. I know that some of the o-rings are bad and the shaft
    seals (I broke the new one trying to bang it into place with a sledge hammer). I have the kits,
    but I wonder if I would be better off replacing them than spending the time to install the go kits.

2. One skimmer doesn't work. I would like for it to work (lots o trees). Is it pretty likely that
    I will have to cut a hole in the concrete pool deck? I tried to run a snake through, but it
    wouldn't go very far. Any thoughts on this one?

3. The pool cover is kickin' my butt? I'm about ready to take it off, but I have no idea the best
    way to tighten those spring coils. I loosened a couple to get them to connect and now, of course,
    the top is a little saggy. It suddenly occurs to me that there is probably a tool that I am missing
    that makes this process easier.

Anybody live near Falls Church, VA and wanna come take a look?
    Thanks for listening to my late night ramblings. Mule
    Go to control panel and read my posts about a clogged skimmer line ..... i tried every option out there before i ended up digging
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

4. Back To Top    #4

Here are the first three pictures. I want to move the station under the deck. I hope it
    won't be too loud under the deck. There is already a concrete slab for the old hot tub
    under there and I will have a place to mount the SWCG.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dark plaster in-ground, 25K gallons, Triton II sand fliter, Teledyne Laars Series 2 ESG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner,
    Circupool RJ45 SWCG, one skimmer doesn't work (any suggestions for snaking this or determining why it doesn't
    work?), using 12mil bubble wrap solar cover, Marquis 660 hot tub using liquid bleach.

5. Back To Top    #5

At the top of the overhead shot in the last post, you can see my discharge line going into corrugated piping
    leading out behind the back.
    Attached Images Attached Images