Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OTO chlorine Test (Questions)

1. Back To Top    #1

OTO chlorine Test (Questions)

I'm just wondering something about the OTO chlorine test.

In the details of the kit it says "normally used daily".
    I also read in the extended test directions " Above 2 (ppm) accurate readings become difficult and the precision is very low. If its not precise above 2ppm and recommended levels are 3-7, I just can't figure out any time to use this chlorine test. Does anyone use it to decide how much chlorine to add or just as a quick simple look to make sure its not at 2 or less?

So who uses it daily?

Who uses it when, why, how often?

Who says if I'm getting my testing stuff out, I mine as well do the accurate one and do the FAS/DPD test instead?
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: OTO chlorine Test (Questions)

I use it daily. As part of my "Quick" routine just to check that chlorine DOES exist in my pool and that it is roughly at the level I expect it to be....not too dark yellow and not too light yellow. Good enough reassurance for me and, over time, you can develop a more practiced eye so I pretty much know within a couple ppm where my FC is.....the test takes 15 seconds.

You are welcome to test more precisely and use the FAS/DPD daily and many prefer that. No harm, it just takes more time to complete.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I never use mine ..... i found it was not even close to accurate and the FAS/DPD test is so simple i just use it.

I don't even test daily ...... half a gallon or so of 8% bleach every day and i am all set
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

4. Back To Top    #4

I never use it, either. I know if I have any chlorine before I test, because I stay on top of my levels. I always do, unless something has gone wrong, and in that case, I need to know the exact number. So OTO is pretty much a useless waste of time for me. Plus I get to use my SpeedStir with the FAS-DPD.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

5. Back To Top    #5

The OTO is a bulletproof test for the presence of chlorine.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I am also in the rarely use it camp, I use the FAS DPD wtih speed stir, usually every other day or so, but I do have automatic chlorine injection. On occasion I will run it as a sanity check against the FAS-DPD test though.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Plus I get to use my SpeedStir with the FAS-DPD.
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

I use the OTO as a cross check and under certain conditions to see if I need to do the FAS check. Example: day before yesterday I was weed eating around the pool and saw some of the clipping go into the pool so I took FC up to ~10. I then put the solar cover back on and left it. Yesterday was cool and overcast when the OTO read higher than 5 FC I just stopped there and left it alone. We have similar conditions here today, so tonight when I check if it's still over 5 I'll walk away from it again, if not I'll test with FAS and see how much it needs.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

9. Back To Top    #9

I forgot to add that mine is woefully inaccurate ...... it might read 1 or 1.5 when the chlorine is 5 or 6.

I got all scared and nervous one time that my chlorine was so low (and i was so off base ) then i used the fas/dpd test and i was dead on.

Haven't touched it since
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I use OTO and pH tests daily, then FAS/DPD and other TF100 tests (except CH and CYA) weekly. Those two tests only about once a month.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

I forgot to add that mine is woefully inaccurate ...... it might read 1 or 1.5 when the chlorine is 5 or 6.
    Nitpicking a bit here but it is difficult for the OTO to be extremely inaccurate. It is usually lack of experience and practice with that test that makes it hard to judge. I can easily get withing 2-3 ppm and that's w-a-ay good enough for the purpose for which I use it.
    Dave S.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by msgtdan
    I use the OTO as a cross check and under certain conditions to see if I need to do the FAS check. Example: day before yesterday I was weed eating around the pool and saw some of the clipping go into the pool so I took FC up to ~10. I then put the solar cover back on and left it. Yesterday was cool and overcast when the OTO read higher than 5 FC I just stopped there and left it alone. We have similar conditions here today, so tonight when I check if it's still over 5 I'll walk away from it again, if not I'll test with FAS and see how much it needs.
    Relax. Both my pools, going back to 1946, have had grass growing up to within a foot of the water. Lots of clippings go in every time I mow. I never shock, ever, except at open. Grass may be green, but it's not algae and doesn't seem to eat much chlorine.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Nitpicking a bit here but it is difficult for the OTO to be extremely inaccurate. It is usually lack of experience and practice with that test that makes it hard to judge. I can easily get withing 2-3 ppm and that's w-a-ay good enough for the purpose for which I use it.

I posted about this way back when it happened and if i remember correctly it was suggested that i may have had weak reagents ...... in any case i just do the fas/dpd test which takes me all of 1 minute
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

14. Back To Top    #14

Here is my post from way back

large-discrepancy-in-cl-tests-t46507.html

I read 0 on the OTO test and 4 on the FAS/DPD
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner