Electrical Lights Over the Pool?

moyer02

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 11, 2010
Pensacola, FL
I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times, please forgive me for not finding a post about this.

I would like to run outdoor lights hanging across the pool. I don't want solar lights as I've yet to see any that work to my satisfaction.

I can't imagine high voltage lighting would be possible because of the danger and code problems. I am also looking at low voltage lighting but haven't come across any string lights that would be practical.

I know someone out there has found some way to hang lights over their pool. FYI here's something like I would like to hang:

[attachment=0:zqnrt4qn]poollights.jpg[/attachment:zqnrt4qn]

Thanks very much for looking at my post; I've learned so much from this forum since I joined it.

Attachments

• poollights.jpg
    poollights.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 507
There are very limited situations in which electrical code allows lights above the pool. Nothing like what you pictured is allowed.

Lights have to be at least 12 feet above the water and permanently affixed so there is no chance of them falling into the pool. They must also be either low voltage or CGFI protected. There is some interpretation involved in deciding what is "permanently affixed", which is up to your local inspector. If there is any metal involved other than the wires the metal must usually be bonded (though there are some difficult to meet exceptions).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.