Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Electrical Lights Over the Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Electrical Lights Over the Pool?

I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times, please forgive me for not finding a post about this.

I would like to run outdoor lights hanging across the pool. I don't want solar lights as I've yet to see any that work to my satisfaction.

I can't imagine high voltage lighting would be possible because of the danger and code problems. I am also looking at low voltage lighting but haven't come across any string lights that would be practical.

I know someone out there has found some way to hang lights over their pool. FYI here's something like I would like to hang:

[attachment=0:zqnrt4qn]poollights.jpg[/attachment:zqnrt4qn]

Thanks very much for looking at my post; I've learned so much from this forum since I joined it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill Moyer
    CWO4 USN (Ret)
    Pensacola, FL
    10k gallon 12x24 in ground pool built 2008, vinyl, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Intelliflo v/s pump, Hayward sand filter. Using the BBB method.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Electrical Lights Over the Pool?

My initial reaction is that seems like a terrible idea. I certainly have no solution but perhaps I will learn something along with you.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

There are very limited situations in which electrical code allows lights above the pool. Nothing like what you pictured is allowed.

Lights have to be at least 12 feet above the water and permanently affixed so there is no chance of them falling into the pool. They must also be either low voltage or CGFI protected. There is some interpretation involved in deciding what is "permanently affixed", which is up to your local inspector. If there is any metal involved other than the wires the metal must usually be bonded (though there are some difficult to meet exceptions).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, I was hoping for a commercial type product that would be ok....I am now in the hunt for high quality solar globes. Thanks for the replies, and have a great and sparkling summer!
    Bill Moyer
    CWO4 USN (Ret)
    Pensacola, FL
    10k gallon 12x24 in ground pool built 2008, vinyl, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Intelliflo v/s pump, Hayward sand filter. Using the BBB method.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have a cage you can take a look at Nebula lighting - Rail light. Not sure of the price. My cage won't be that big. It didn't seem worth it to me.
    23.6x14 IG free form ~8K gallon, Pentair VS 3050 Intelliflo, GloBrite LED lighting w/IntelliBrite controller, Aztec Cobalt water tile. CLI Carolina Blue pebble finish, Bronze pool cage, 336 sqft Heliocol solar heating. Build Thread and landscaping Solar heating install