how much muriatic acid to add

8corneflakes

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
I have a handle on everything BBB, EXCEPT, the dreaded muriatic acid. Every time I have to use it, I second guess myself. So, Here are my numbers...

FC: 6
pH: 7.8
TA: 130

THe water is clear and beautiful, but the pH is creeping up because we splash a lot and have deck jets and a slide. I am wanting to get my TA back down to about 90 to hold the pH longer. when i put in all my values, the Pool calculator says to add 104 ounces of muriatic acid. I am not positive if I was supposed to put in my pH target value as 7.2 (the number needed to drop the TA as well).

I remember being advised to add the muriatic acid in a 'pencil stream', but I don't remember if I can put in all the 104 ounces (if that is indeed the amount) in at once or break it up over several hours.

What do you think?

The amount of MA required for a pH change is affected by the Now TA input. The Target TA is ignored. Add the amount of acid required to lower the pH from 7.8 to 7.2 ... your numbers check out. You can do it all at once slowly in front of a return jet and make sure the pump stays on for an hour after that.

Although, as woody said, it is often a good idea to do large changes like this in a couple steps.

Pool Calculator is your friend.

It is best to make large PH changes in two steps, rather than all at once. You only need to wait half an hour, retest the PH to see if it is where you expect it to be and then adjust from there.

Your target is to lower PH to 7.2, but aim for 7.5 in the first step.

You did it right. You can split things up if you're worried. Compare your final results tomorrow with the expected results in the Effects Of Adding Chemicals section of the pool calculator. If you're real close, you've figured the volume out correctly and next time around you will dose with confidence.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.