Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: test question

1. Back To Top    #1

test question

is the hth chlorine/bromine test the same as free chlorine test?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: test question

No, The inexpensive HTH six way test kit includes the OTO chlorine test which measures TC (total chlorine) from 0 to 5 (though anything 3 or higher looks the same to most people). TC = FC (free chlorine) + CC (combined chlorine). You want FC, you don't want CC. Often CC is zero, and TC = FC. But with that test kit things can get confusing when CC is above zero.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

so if three days in my oto chlorine test shows 3-5 is it safe to assume i have no cc?

4. Back To Top    #4

And you are right i really cant tell the difference between the 3-6 color and the 5-10 color.

5. Back To Top    #5

Howell, NJ

There is no way to know if you have CC with the OTO test.
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.