33' Round DIY Pool Build in Iowa with photos

QuiltinMom

Platinum Supporter
Mar 24, 2013
Central Iowa
So, a couple of months back we purchased a used AGP off of Craigslist. It was already taken down and stored before we purchased it. We have our work cut out for us trying to figure out what all of these pieces are for.

A couple of weeks ago we decided where we want to put the pool and knew we would have quite a bit of digging we would have to do to get to level ground.

This is what we started with.[attachment=2:1nx2jhu7]2013-05-07 16.42.48_1_1.jpg[/attachment:1nx2jhu7]

We have been working on it here and there when we find time and in between the rain drops. We have had a substantial amount of rain in the last couple of weeks.

This past weekend we were able to make huge progress and I believe we have completed the digging and leveling part. Hopefully!!!! The pavers have been dug in and leveled. We will check them again before we build the pool.

So here are some more current photos.[attachment=1:1nx2jhu7]2013-06-01 16.12.26_2_1.jpg[/attachment:1nx2jhu7][attachment=0:1nx2jhu7]2013-06-01 16.12.30_3_1.jpg[/attachment:1nx2jhu7]

We had to dig down approx. 2 feet to get to level ground. I am concerned about the ground washing down in against the pool when it rains or with splash out from the pool. I don't plan to do a retaining wall and we may possibly put a short deck on the dug in area. We were thinking about putting some drainage tile down there and then covering it with pea gravel.

We were also thinking of lining the pool on the dug in end with TyVek house wrap instead of tar paper or tarring the outside of the wall. What do you think? Do you think TyVek would work? Has anyone tried using TyVek for a partially buried pool?

Any concerns that any of you see with our progress so far? We do have a very small deep end, just went about a foot deeper for a small percentage of the pool.

I'll try and continue to update with photos as we progress. Don't know when we will get to actually put the pool together as our next couple of weekends are busy.

THANKS for any input.

Attachments

• 2013-06-01 16.12.30_3_1.jpg
    2013-06-01 16.12.30_3_1.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 241
If you have all that dirt from your dig, I'm going to hate to see how much I have! :shock:

Keep the pics coming!!! :cool:

fireman00 said:
A swale fill filled with rip rap topped with river sone on the upside of the pool would be one way to divert water to each side. Is that a 790 you're digging with?

THANKS for the suggestionh

The tractor is a 3038E. It is a diesel. We sure do push our little tractor to its limits, but we are rarely disappointed with it. That was certainly a great purchase. It is very unintimidating for a girl raised in the city. Love that little thing. We use it for so much. Worth its weight in gold. :)

We were thinking about putting some drainage tile down there and then covering it with pea gravel.

That's what I'm doing now, then I'm going to backfill. I'm almost three feet down on the uphill side. My used pool was buried 18" on one side for 8 years with no ill effects.

That's what I'm doing now, then I'm going to backfill. I'm almost three feet down on the uphill side. My used pool was buried 18" on one side for 8 years with no ill effects.[/quote]

Was it tarred or protected in any way? Are you going to put any type of barrier beforr you backfill? I've seen your posts and know you are someone who researches all options before moving forward. :-D

Anyone know if TyVek house wrap would help?

The only spot of rust when I removed the pool from it's previous location was on the inside well above ground level. It was at a section where the deck and ladder were and I think they may have compromised the wall coating there and it rusted a little. I sanded and painted it and no further problems.

On the drain tile I used the corrugated plastic with a silt sock on it, the same stuff I used when I built the house. I know the house drain tile is still working well because last summer we had a garden hose bust and water flowed for several hours. The grass on the downhill side turned a nice green during the drought.

I do research :). Though I don't always put everything into practice, getting the pool up plain wore me out, still working on it but it's swim-able. I didn't get any protection to the outside put up, I'd thought about it but because it had been in good shape when I took it down I decided not to. The Tyvek wouldn't hurt and probably would help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.