Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 33' Round DIY Pool Build in Iowa with photos

1. Back To Top    #1

33' Round DIY Pool Build in Iowa with photos

So, a couple of months back we purchased a used AGP off of Craigslist. It was already taken down and stored before we purchased it. We have our work cut out for us trying to figure out what all of these pieces are for.

A couple of weeks ago we decided where we want to put the pool and knew we would have quite a bit of digging we would have to do to get to level ground.

This is what we started with.[attachment=2:1nx2jhu7]2013-05-07 16.42.48_1_1.jpg[/attachment:1nx2jhu7]

We have been working on it here and there when we find time and in between the rain drops. We have had a substantial amount of rain in the last couple of weeks.

This past weekend we were able to make huge progress and I believe we have completed the digging and leveling part. Hopefully!!!! The pavers have been dug in and leveled. We will check them again before we build the pool.

So here are some more current photos.[attachment=1:1nx2jhu7]2013-06-01 16.12.26_2_1.jpg[/attachment:1nx2jhu7][attachment=0:1nx2jhu7]2013-06-01 16.12.30_3_1.jpg[/attachment:1nx2jhu7]

We had to dig down approx. 2 feet to get to level ground. I am concerned about the ground washing down in against the pool when it rains or with splash out from the pool. I don't plan to do a retaining wall and we may possibly put a short deck on the dug in area. We were thinking about putting some drainage tile down there and then covering it with pea gravel.

We were also thinking of lining the pool on the dug in end with TyVek house wrap instead of tar paper or tarring the outside of the wall. What do you think? Do you think TyVek would work? Has anyone tried using TyVek for a partially buried pool?

Any concerns that any of you see with our progress so far? We do have a very small deep end, just went about a foot deeper for a small percentage of the pool.

I'll try and continue to update with photos as we progress. Don't know when we will get to actually put the pool together as our next couple of weekends are busy.

THANKS for any input.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 Used 33'x54" Wilbar Morada,deep end approx 28,800 gal.
    Hayward S180T1580S pump/filter combo,
    Pentair Aqualuminator light/return, Aquabot S2-50
    TF-100 kit, Initial fill with pond water
    South Central Iowa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 33' Round DIY Pool Build in Iowa with photos

If you have all that dirt from your dig, I'm going to hate to see how much I have!

Keep the pics coming!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

A swale fill filled with rip rap topped with river sone on the upside of the pool would be one way to divert water to each side. Is that a 790 you're digging with?
    21' AG (~11,000 gallons)
    Hayward S180T sand filter (35 gpm)
    Hayward Power-Flow SP1510 pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm 2 feet down on the front side of mine.I just taper'd the hill off&plant'd grass.That's been over 10 yrs ago.No problem's at all.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

thats one huge pool!!!
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    If you have all that dirt from your dig, I'm going to hate to see how much I have!

Keep the pics coming!!!
    There was actually more dirt. We have started repurposing it already.
    South Central Iowa

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by fireman00
    A swale fill filled with rip rap topped with river sone on the upside of the pool would be one way to divert water to each side. Is that a 790 you're digging with?
    THANKS for the suggestionh

The tractor is a 3038E. It is a diesel. We sure do push our little tractor to its limits, but we are rarely disappointed with it. That was certainly a great purchase. It is very unintimidating for a girl raised in the city. Love that little thing. We use it for so much. Worth its weight in gold.
    South Central Iowa

8. Back To Top    #8

We were thinking about putting some drainage tile down there and then covering it with pea gravel.
    That's what I'm doing now, then I'm going to backfill. I'm almost three feet down on the uphill side. My used pool was buried 18" on one side for 8 years with no ill effects.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

9. Back To Top    #9

That's what I'm doing now, then I'm going to backfill. I'm almost three feet down on the uphill side. My used pool was buried 18" on one side for 8 years with no ill effects.[/quote]

Was it tarred or protected in any way? Are you going to put any type of barrier beforr you backfill? I've seen your posts and know you are someone who researches all options before moving forward.

Anyone know if TyVek house wrap would help?
    South Central Iowa

10. Back To Top    #10

The only spot of rust when I removed the pool from it's previous location was on the inside well above ground level. It was at a section where the deck and ladder were and I think they may have compromised the wall coating there and it rusted a little. I sanded and painted it and no further problems.

On the drain tile I used the corrugated plastic with a silt sock on it, the same stuff I used when I built the house. I know the house drain tile is still working well because last summer we had a garden hose bust and water flowed for several hours. The grass on the downhill side turned a nice green during the drought.

I do research . Though I don't always put everything into practice, getting the pool up plain wore me out, still working on it but it's swim-able. I didn't get any protection to the outside put up, I'd thought about it but because it had been in good shape when I took it down I decided not to. The Tyvek wouldn't hurt and probably would help.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320