New Building Code - Additional Requirements

stever

LifeTime Supporter
I understand from talking with some senior plan-checkers here that California is now enforcing the new 2006 IBC (2007 CBC) building code and that requires a soils report for all retaining walls. Walls over a certian height will need to be designed for seismic earth pressures in addition to the normal static earth loads. San Diego is interpreting this as retaining walls 6 feet and taller and IS enforcing this for pools deeper than 6 feet.

Seems crazy that [ a ] pool now needs a soils report (I might be able to grasp the logic in this in some cases) and has to be designed for earthquakes. With counteracting water pressure and the natural strength of the shape (return walls and/or circular) I can't see an earthquake having any effect on an in-ground pool -- and I'm in the building design industry. It would have to be a perfect storm of pool shape, no water in it, and -- to actually have a life/safety risk -- people in this empty pool. Maybe this is to protect the skate-boarders! :?

I got my pool permit a few weeks before these requirements came into effect on Jan 2, 2008. Is there anybody else in California (or elsewhere) that can shed some light on this? Have you seen this required? This has the opportunity to add a load of time and $$ to the front-end of any deeper pool build. :(

I hope they change their minds..... or do not enforce this as they have told me they would....

Steve

Based on my most recent post as well as the subject matter and wording of your post, I assume you meant to reply to my post.

You may very well be correct that this is a new statewide requirement. I agree with your analysis of it, however, I'm just viewing it as another hoop I must jump through to get to the finish line. Our area generally is not very seismically active but the Bay Area where I lived until two years ago certainly is.

I would suspect that a pool design such as yours could benefit from such an inspection.

Regards,

Kevin

cobra46 said:
Based on my most recent post as well as the subject matter and wording of your post, I assume you meant to reply to my post.

You may very well be correct that this is a new statewide requirement. I agree with your analysis of it, however, I'm just viewing it as another hoop I must jump through to get to the finish line. Our area generally is not very seismically active but the Bay Area where I lived until two years ago certainly is.

I would suspect that a pool design such as yours could benefit from such an inspection.

Regards,

Kevin

Kevin,

Yes -- your message did encourage me to vent about this subject -- decided not to hijack your thread.

I am very disappointed/anoyed/frustrated about all of the new code requirements. I am not saying they do not have their place in some circumstances, but this government nannying will lead to everybody having a more expensive pool, not just the ones that need it. Isn't there a place for judgment anymore? C'mon! Earthquake forces on an inground pool??? Maybe if it has a 20' deep end.... or maybe if it's a vanishing edge (free wall w/o dirt)...

Show me the failures! If this is a problem, we should be seeing pool failures in the last few good-sized earthquakes! I have to deal with this daily -- I'm depressed that it has taken the pool industry as well.

vegas_dp said:
California should just fall in the ocean anyway so it does not matter.

Sadly -- only half of California is at risk of breaking into the ocean due to fault locations :lol: . Although I can see the attraction.... a beach the depth of NV! Plenty of space to set up that sand volleyball court.

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.