Changing from 1-Speed Pentair to Hayward VS-Automation ?'s

Jun 4, 2013
I have a Salt Water Pool. 12kgal. with Pentair Cl generator, Pentair LED Light, Solar with A Simple Hayward Gold Line - On/Off Switch and 2 Sensors (Air Temperature/Water Temperature) that overrides the mechanical timer pump clock... when Pump is timer - off, but Solar indicates that temperatures are sufficient to heat the pool water.

My single speed 2HP pentair pump is dying. I am going to switch to a Hayward VS pump. I don't like the VS controler on the pentair pump, and since this is my 2nd pentair pump replacement (1 under warranty..another not under warranty)... I feel better about the Hayward pump.

I would like to upgrade my solar controller at a future date, without replacing the Hayward Solar Sensors and Valves. So a Hayward automation controller makes the most sense. Will a Hayward automated controller (replacing the existing Gold Line Solar only Controller) be able to control the Pentair Salt Water Cl generator and the Pentair LED light, the Hayward VS Pump and the Hayward Solar set-up... thus allowing me the maximum benefit of the VS pump?

What Hayward controller would you recommend to control all 4? If I automate, I would like the ability to add a remote control functionality as well at some point in the future.

My existing single speed set up has been working great. Simple and effective. No service needs. My intermediate plan is to use the VS pump at a fixed higher speed during heating season and dial the speed down during the months that I know that I won't want solar heat.

Florida pool.

Is the future automation worthwhile?

Re: Changing from 1-Speed Pentair to Hayward VS-Automation ?

Welcome to TFP!

A Hayward automation system will be able to control everything to some extent, but there will be some limitations interfacing with Pentair equipment. For example the Hayward unit won't be able to set the lights to a specific color automatically, instead you will need to manually cycle power to change light modes. Also, Hayward automation will not give you remote control over the SWG. The SWG will still work, but you will not be able to set the percentage and check status from the Hayward remote.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a variable speed pump is almost never worth it unless your electric rates are $0.20/kwh or higher. Below that a two speed pump is a much better choice financially.

Re: Changing from 1-Speed Pentair to Hayward VS-Automation ?

Thank you for the valuable information. Maybe the best approach would be to get a Pentair controller,, sinceit its compatible with the led, and the set. Will a Pentair automation controller , work with a Hayward vs pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.