Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: vacuum to waste with cartridge filter (need plumbing advise)

1. Back To Top    #1

vacuum to waste with cartridge filter (need plumbing advise)

Yesterday I got a new Intelliflo VS pump, and asked the tech to replace my regular 5/8" garden hose spigot with a 3-way valve so I can, "vacuum to waste." Perhaps there was a mis-communication, because this is what I got,

I'm no genius, but I'm pretty sure I can't simply attach a hose to this setup, lest it be blown into my neighbor's yard.

Can anyone give advise on what I need to complete this job? Perhaps glue some 2" PVC into this reducer and clamp on one of those blue backwash hoses? (More elegant solutions welcomed!)

There is about 75'-100' between my pump and the sewer lateral.

Thanks in advance for you help,
    Jeffrey
    15k gal, IG painted plaster (black), 3.0 HP Intelliflo VS, Pentair CCP240, MiniMax 400, build date unknown (estimate 1995), attached spa w/ water fall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: vacuum to waste with cartridge filter (need plumbing adv

You just have to add a piece of PVC pipe and then a fitting to whatever type of hose you plan to use .... or just spray water all over the place
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Pardon me, but I see the valve above the pump, and a big ole hole, but I don't see a pipe leading towards, um, a filter.

Anyway, assuming it's just not visible in this photo, I'd say yes, you need to do exactly as you imagine.

We were lucky, we were able to access a bathroom drain/vent only several feet away and plumbed the drain-to-waste from the pool directly into the house drainage system.

Maybe someone else has your elegant solution, but it isn't me. Sorry.
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    You just have to add a piece of PVC pipe and then a fitting to whatever type of hose you plan to use.
    Any suggestions of what hose to use for this application? I keep finding backwash hoses on "google", but don't know what fitting I should use for those.

Ideally I'd like some kind of threaded connector, and a hose to match. But there are so many to choose from ...

Quote Originally Posted by alanpaul
    Pardon me, but I see the valve above the pump, and a big ole hole, but I don't see a pipe leading towards, um, a filter. Anyway, assuming it's just not visible in this photo ...
    Correct, the pipe leading to my cartridge filer is directly behind this value (and thus out of frame).

Thanks,
    Jeffrey
    15k gal, IG painted plaster (black), 3.0 HP Intelliflo VS, Pentair CCP240, MiniMax 400, build date unknown (estimate 1995), attached spa w/ water fall